Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Something has to give

Crap.  Not much sleep last night.  I saw the sun rise again and tried to sleep in but at 11 a.m. Professor couldn't hold it any longer so I had to get up and let him out.  Not long after I posted last night I started coughing and feeling really crummy, like my cold had come back.  I took some cold medicine and some echinacea and went to bed but pain from the fibromyalgia reared its ugly head and kept me awake until I lost my sleep window.

I've felt generally lethargic all day and my ribs are so sore from coughing.  I had thought this was allergies but I'm not sure that I haven't recovered from that last bout of a cold as I've been coughing every day since then.  Still, I'm inclined to think allergies.  No fever or general malaise.  I'm allergic to mold and mildew.  Makes my sinuses drain like crazy and I think that's why I've been coughing.  The crumminess last night was most likely due to a flare up of the allergies rather than anything viral.  I've got to find the energy to scrub the house down and get rid of all the mold/mildew in here.  It accumulates in corners and behind furniture that is up against the walls.

As a result I'm not doing anything today in the realm of creativity.  I have no ambition and no energy.  I've got two loads of laundry going and cooking supper but after that I'm heading for bed.  I hope that little nap I took doesn't screw up the rest of the evening for me.  I might cut one of those little blue over-the-counter sleeping pills in half if I need to.

I keep thinking that if I could establish a sleep pattern, I could fix the other health problems I have.  I mean, I've been struggling with insomnia for over 22 years and that has to have taken its toll on my body, especially in the way I've gained weight around my waist (cortisol plays a huge factor, my doctor tells me.)  I'll try a few more things but if I can't get control of this, I might consider a trip to the dr just for this reason to see if she has any suggestions, even if they do involve medicine.  I'm stretched so thin I'm about to crack.

Well, supper needs my attention so I'm off to get it in the oven.  Here's hoping I can find a way out of this fog I'm living in.

TTFN


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Insomnia is crazy-making. I can't be creative, productive, I can't speak or think logically, and at some point I usually completely lose my emotional crap. And yeah, of course it affects the rest of your body! 22 years of it is a long time. I hope something comes through for you soon.

Kathy said...

This year, for some reason, it's just worn me down and I have to fix it somehow. The dr and I talked about it and she says most of my health issues can be directly linked to lack of sleep. But she didn't offer me anything at the time. I didn't ask either but if I can't fix this on my own, I'll be making an appointment.

One problem is Tom's schedule. He's not terribly quiet when he comes in, barging in the front door, coming in to play with the pets on my bed while I'm sleeping. Turning the tv up loud while he eats supper at 2 a.m.

Once I wake up, I'm up for the night.