Thursday, January 27, 2011

Ready for the dreaded tax day

I got the money transferred into checking today to pay the first installment of the property taxes tomorrow.  I could wait until Monday but with my luck something would prevent me from getting there.  So I will walk down to City Hall and pay them tomorrow.  Yes, I said walk.  And believe me when I say it's uphill both ways. It really is.

Plus it snowed again last night.  Only two inches and thankfully one of our lovely neighbors with a snowblower did our public sidewalk and the driveway apron so there's no frantic rush to get out there and shovel before we get a ticket.  And more flurries are expected the next few days.  I'm seriously done with winter.

Another night with little sleep and I woke up early fretting about the state of our finances.  Things aren't as dire as I thought they were but we're still working on a pay reduction with costs skyrocketing and I've got to find money each month to stick away for the second installment.  It never lets up, does it?

I'm hoping to spend the weekend organizing my bedroom better so I can use it as a studio/work station area.  I don't have a door.  In fact, I don't even have a wall.  I have sheets that function as curtains and can hear the tv in the living room over mine (which is why I have the closed captions on all the time) so there is no privacy at all, but maybe I can find moments to work in peace and solitude even if I can't find hours.

What I need more than organization is sleep though.  I forgot to drink some tea or take a half a sleeping pill but it wouldn't have done any good anyway as Tom wanted to watch tv in my room when he got home last night and I ended up staying up until 3 a.m.  To be fair, I'm the one with the dvr and the digital channels so I try to accommodate him when possible.  And it was an interesting program about meteorite hunters in Wisconsin. 

I forgot to fill the bird feeders today...again.  I must remember to do that tomorrow.  I've been watching the forecasts to see if the temps will get close enough thawing so I can start hanging clothes outdoors to save a bit on electric costs, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon.  If we had more room in the house I could use the racks.  In fact, for the dark colored clothes I might go back to doing that.  The light colored stuff won't work because of all the little items. 

I need to start thinking about the garden.  I'm not going to use seeds from StuffMart this year.  I don't think they do well.  I'll try a nursery online instead.  That way I've got more options, too.  I want to start an herb garden as well.  I've got a rack in front of the only southern exposure window so I can start my seedlings there.  Hannibal won't be able to get to them because there are bars instead of shelving.  Plus I can drape the curtains around the whole rack so it's always exposed to the outside light and I don't have to get up early to open them.

Hoping to catch up a bit on dvr stuff tonight as it's getting full and I have more documentaries set up to record.  I finished up the Midsomer Murder dvd but I don't want to start Earth: Final Conflict yet.  I think I'll do another season of Farscape while I wait for the other MM episodes to come in at the library.

Well, time to start the macaroni and cheese and then go to bed.  I might work on my Navajo coat tonight or look at the patterns from the knitting books I got from the library today.  I'm looking to use up some yarn by making smaller things instead of huge projects.

TTFN

No comments: