Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Two down, one to go

The annual mammogram is out of the way and I have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow for the annual follow up visit.  I'm at the 8 1/2 year mark cancer free.  So while I really hate these appointments, I will not stop making them because without the mammogram, I wouldn't have known I had cancer until it was too late.  Get those mamms, ladies! With digital technology, they aren't as painful and they can see right away if the films are readable.

Labs this morning were painful.  It took three tries and two techs before they got blood.  My veins are crap from the chemo 8 years ago.  The only good one rolls away from the needle and only one of the techs there has ever managed to get blood first time and she wasn't there.  The last two sticks were painful; one left a huge bruise on my hand and the other one brought tears to my eyes from the pain.  She went after a vein in my thumb/wrist.  I'm not blaming them.  They were very professional and as kind as they could be but as I said... my veins are crap.

It was mighty hot today...temps at around 87F plus whatever humidity, which was a bit substantial.  I should be working in the basement since this is Basement Tuesday.  I'll get to it in a bit though.  I need time to unwind from the drive and the boob squashing.  One of the advantages of just having one is that it's half the time and half the discomfort.

I need to make sure I tell the surgeon I need a prescription for a new prosthesis as mine is duct taped so much it's a solid mass instead of being nice and pliable, which means another trip out of town to a pharmacy in West Bend.

I didn't get tons of knitting done yesterday because I was so tired and achy from the arthritic knee so I just laid there and watched The Two Towers instead.  Tonight will be The Return of the King after which I will take a break and watch some stuff that is in at the library.  One of the items is The Jesus Camp.  I have heard so much about it and Zach wants to watch it as well since he's had too many experiences with that kind of attitude at our former fundie church.

But I will pick those up tomorrow after the surgeon's appointment.  I'm taking the freeway up tomorrow because I'm tired of all the little towns and stop signs and traffic lights and farm equipment.  Plus this way I only have to merge onto one freeway instead of two.  It's about 10 minutes longer but a much smoother ride.

At some point I need to get out and hoe the garden.  If I get up early enough tomorrow I might take a stab at it.  It's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow morning so that might prevent me from hoeing.  Thursday looks good though.  I have lots of green tomatoes and dozens of orange blossoms on the zucchini but no zucchini yet.  No peas or green beans yet either.

Zach is having foot problems again so he's not able to do a lot that requires walking or standing much.  It seems to be a recurring problem but not one that would require a doctor's visit so we treat at home with over-the-counter stuff and hope it will clear up once and for all. 

It's too hot to walk tonight so I'll try to get out and do it tomorrow morning...pending rain, of course.  Professor has a condition known as "honk" where he honks like a goose at times, ending in a cough.  It's common in chihuahuas...in fact, his dad has it.  He's having a flare up of it so I don't want to walk him since it exacerbates the situation.  He really does need to get some weight off.  That will help.

Well, I need to get to work.  At the very least I need to get some trash out of the basement and clean up the kitchen before the health department closes me down and I can't cook in there anymore.  Wait a minute...

All I really want to do is crawl into bed though.  I only got about 4 hours of sleep last night because anytime I have to get up early I don't sleep.  It's like...the law or something.  Eh, it's too hot to do that anyway.  I'll plug my mp3 player into my ears and listen to the podcast and try to ignore the fatigue. 

TTFN

No comments: