Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What choice do I have?

I woke to wonderfully cool weather and a gentle rain...that ended up in the car since I forgot to roll the windows up.  After we dried the car out, Zach and I headed to town for healthy foods to cook from now on.  Healthy foods are not inexpensive!  I stopped buying the tubes of hamburger because it's mostly just grease anyway but the price on packaged ground meat, even the 85% stuff is outrageous.  Not to mention some pork rounds and a roast.  The only thing cheap was the two chickens.

The impetus behind this drive to eat healthy was my blood sugar reading this morning.  Terribly high for a fasting test.  It doesn't help that affordable pastas are made from white flour and potatoes are a cheap side dish.  And no more sugar for me for a long while.  So I bought some whole wheat pastas.  I've had them before and didn't like the taste but I'm going to have to go with it because I've got to get those readings down.  I can't afford to cook just with the w/w pastas so the boys will get the white pastas instead.  It's disgusting that eating healthy has to cost so much money.

I cut up the roast into three pieces as it will be mostly flavoring instead of a meat-and-potatoes meal.  Same with the ground beef.  I can get two meals out of each chicken so that rounds out the week.  Except I can't afford to pay those kinds of prices every week so I'm going to have to figure out some meatless meals in there, too, that aren't high in fat and sugar...white pastas and cheese are my standby.  My old standby.  I've got a diabetic cookbook but every recipe in it calls for expensive cuts of meat and the meatless ones call for expensive ingredients I don't have.  But what choice do I have?

It doesn't help that I'm an emotional eater or that most people with sleeping disorders tend toward obesity because of the stress hormone, cortisol, that creates that need to feed.  It's going to be an uphill climb for me.  But again, what choice do I have?

On the plus side, I'm making progress on Zach's sweater...having finished the armhole reduction and heading toward the neckline.  On the back that is.  And after looking at purses that don't fit my needs, I'm looking for a pattern to crochet one.  I need to get some crocheting back into my daily routine as well, plus I can work out a purse easier crocheting than knitting.  Faster, too.  I can find some material to line it with and maybe make a smaller purse to fit inside to carry all the loose stuff that ends up on the bottom under everything else.  I have plenty of Red Heart yarn in my closet to pick from.  Lots of colors, too.

Well, I need to start supper.  My last time with macaroni and cheese.  Tomorrow I'll do better but tonight I'm tired and cranky and this is quick and doesn't dirty up every pan in the house.

TTFN

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Think vegeterian!Lots of sites on line for recipes. The seasonings make the difference. My daughter uses the fake meat crumbles in all the dishes where ground beef is called for..tacos for instance. By the time the sauce onions,lettuce are added, it is hard to tell there is no meat.

I use tuna packed in water for a lot of things and buy it when it sells for 79 cents at the store.Good luck..be frugal,but spend the $$ when you must. Remember, you are worth it.

Kathy said...

I've tried vegetarian but my sugar goes up with that as well. I am reluctant to use soy because of the phyto-estrogens in it and my cancer was estrogen receptor positive so I've been advised to eat little soy.

And it's difficult to get enough protein for my diabetes with the vegetarian without soy.

Thanks. I have to remind myself I am worth it since I tend to put myself last. It's that sacrificial mindset that I can't seem to escape.

Carol said...

Eating healthy is so much more expensive - yet there is so much publicity about obesity and junk foods in this country, wouldn't you think something could be done to allow those with limited incomes to eat better?

Kathy said...

So true, Carol. Most people don't understand obesity in that they think overweight people are just lazy gluttons. I've heard so many horrendous comments about people on food stamps and the food they buy with them. As in...the poor can't be that bad off because they're so fat. It's not just a question of limiting calories and exercising more. If that were the case, there would be few overweight people. It's about much more than that.