Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy fourth of July

After a very short night, I got up around 6:30 a.m., did some laundry (didn't want to use the dryer after it started warming up), watered the garden and did some knitting.  I also straightened up the kitchen a bit.  By 10 I was taking a nap on the couch because I couldn't keep my eyes open and have been alternating chores and naps the rest of the day.

We had hamburgers and kosher hot dogs on the grill.  Zach won't eat any other kind of hot dog, for the taste.  I made some potato salad only to find out as I was chopping up the onions that we were out of pickles.  After polling all members of the house, I have come to the conclusion that a burglar broke in and stole the last pickle and didn't put it on the grocery list.  Because no one in this house would cop to doing so.  So I had to run to the nearest town (we don't have a grocery store here) and pick up a jar of pickles.

Tom and Zach put the air conditioner in his room today.  It was nearly 90 in his room and in the low 80s out here.  Unfortunately he'll need to use it more often than I'd like but it's so hot in his room and he just can't sleep when his room is in the 80s, which it is most of the time.  Until about 4 a.m.  I was glad Tom did it as there were nuances to it I wouldn't have figured out.  At least the pets have a place to go when it's stifling here.

And speaking of pets.  Hannibal is feeling really heavy now.  His hips have muscle on them again and you can no longer feel his spine while petting him.  Plus he's as frisky as a kitten, playing, leaping and chasing anything that moves.  It's so good to see him healthy again.  His second dose of de-wormer is due this week and I'll need to pick up a replacement dose because he wouldn't touch it in his food.  I'm guessing he's over 10 pounds for sure.  Trying to get the weight off of Professor is difficult under these conditions but he's keeping away from the cat's food because he just doesn't like seafood.  He's looking a bit sleeker but I need to walk him for both our sakes.  Plus he's jumping up on the couch and window seat without using the ottoman now.  That's how I tell his weight loss more than weighing him.  He was too heavy before to even jump up on the ottoman.

I just watched the first episode of John Adams and really liked it.  I have until the 8th to view all 8 episodes so I won't try to watch them all.  Besides, I dvr'd 1776, which I try to watch every fourth of July.  I love that movie.

The fireworks have slowed down a bit. Professor sometimes reacts and sometimes just keeps his head down and looks out the corner of his eye at me, as if I had some control over it.  No matter how you look at it, though, he's not a happy puppy.  I know it's too much to ask people to think of the pets when they're out celebrating and we don't call the police or anything, but around here they tend to light them for a week instead of just the day.  It's so annoying.

The reason I woke up early was pain so I took a tramadol at 5:30 and one again at 7:30 but it's not done a lot to help with the pain.  I took a couple off ibuprofen after supper but I'm still pretty stiff and sore.  I knew this weekend wouldn't be a good time to start any new routines so I plan on starting tomorrow with working on diet and exercise in some form...haven't decided what yet.  I'm just so tired of the pain and fatigue.  Mostly the fatigue, to be honest.

I did get my roses dead-headed today.  I've got several buds on my pink bush, one bud on my yellow bush and a full bloom on my red bush.  I really need another bush in there as one of them died last year.  But that will wait until next summer.  I have yet to plant all my flowers for this year.  Which I hope to get done this week.

I haven't knitted much this afternoon and evening.  Mostly because I've been taking naps and partly because my shoulders are bothering me so I'm not going to irritate them.

Off to put my feet up and maybe knit on a baby blanket.  I ended up buying the pink skein and another white skein as they were both $2.50 at StuffMart on the clearance rack...regularly $7 a skein.  I just can't pass that up.  I worked a bit on the bathroom curtain yesterday but didn't feel like having it in my lap today.  I really must locate my cotton yarns so I can knit up some dishcloths.

TTFN

No comments: