Monday, July 18, 2011

Day 2 of the heat spell

Hot again today although some morning showers brought a tiny bit of relief.  I didn't move into Zach's room until nearly 3 p.m.  But I didn't sleep at all last night, waking up as soon as I dozed off, dripping in sweat.  The interior temps didn't go below 85F with a heat index well over 90F.  I'm cooking supper right now...and sweating... but we have to eat and if I have to eat another salad in the next few days I'm going to scream.  I need something hot.

I've been working on a new way of knitting.  Well, new to me.  I saw it on an episode of Knitting Daily that I had saved back.  It's Portuguese knitting.  It might solve the problem with my elbow digging into my side when I knit, plus purling is so easy with this type of knitting.  Here are some youtube videos of it.

How to hold yarn 
How to knit
How to purl
How to cable

There are several more videos on the sidebar when you get to the links.  It's definitely easier on my shoulders as I'm knitting with straight needles right now and it's a bit of a strain on them.  Plus I'm not digging my left elbow, the one with lymphedema, into my side anymore.  I just need practice to even out my tension though.  And figure out something to use for a pin.  Safety pins don't work because the yarn gets caught in the spring.  I'll look around next time I go to the store.  Maybe springless safety pins.

I think I'll be okay to sleep in the living room tonight.  It's cooling off already and is predicted to be about 10 degrees cooler tonight than last night.  I'm sleepy enough I should sleep well.  Professor slept in Zach's room last night.  He was panting so hard I was afraid for his health so I moved him in there and every time he had to go for a wee, he went right back to Zach's room when he came in.  He's in there now but wouldn't go in until I went in today.  He was content to stay asleep on the bed when I left to fix supper though.

I need to do laundry but it's too hot to run the dryer, even at night.  I think we have enough clothes to last until Friday when it's going to cool off a bit.

We got a bit of rain today so I didn't have to water the garden and with mostly cloudy skies all day, I probably won't have to water again tomorrow either.  I hope.

Thursday I have an appointment with my rheumatologist up in Fond du Lac.  I hate the drive but Tom is letting me take the truck which has air conditioning.  Zach is going with me.  We'll put Professor in Zach's room with a comforter and a bowl of food and water before we leave.  It's going to be so hot on Thursday that I don't want to leave him out in the heat.

Well, off to eat supper, then a quick clean up of the kitchen and on the couch in front of two fans to knit and watch stuff I dvr'd.

TTFN

1 comment:

knittingdragonflies said...

Thanks for the good links,
keep at it
Vicki