Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Trying to find a plan

We had a lovely rain last night which cooled the air off nicely.  Tom had bought a bin and put it under the rain barrel and it's almost full now.  I put the lid on it...actually just set it on top because the weight of the water has bowed the bin and the lid doesn't fit anymore.  I put a plantar with a garbage bag lining it under the gutter by the back door and have a couple of gallons of water there.  That will help as I'm sure our water bill has skyrocketed over the past two weeks in spite of using the runoff water from the shower.

And the good news is, I didn't have to water the garden today.  In fact, I didn't even go near it.  Sometimes you just need a day off.

Today was filled with errands and a massive headache, albeit not of Fred-quality.  I have had migraine-type headaches before but this wasn't one of them.  Still, enough to make my day less brilliant.  I took two ibuprofen before leaving the house and two tylenol on the way home but I had to go lie down and snooze for a while when we arrived at home because I couldn't hold my head up any longer.  I feel better and my sinuses seem to be draining like crazy so apparently it was an allergy headache.  And the allergy pill was too bullied by it to try to overcome it.  I must de-mildew this house and soon.

I watched 1776 again last night.  I confess to loving musicals.  I had a roommate in the Navy who ridiculed another girl in our barracks over her love of them so I always just kept a low profile over it for years. But I do love them.

I plugged in the sonic bark thing again, this time on a lower setting and so far, so good.  While I was trying to nap, Professor barked once, hesitated, barked again and then stopped.  That rarely happens.  But he's not been driven into a frenzy yet by dogs in the yard or across the street...or the mailman...so we'll see how it works when he's hysterical.  Probably not too well.  But it was nice to get a nap in with minimal interruption.

Hannibal is still doing well, although I noticed the past couple of days he's been hungrier.  His next dose of de-wormer is due tomorrow so this seems to imply that parasites are the problem.  I'll give him his dose tonight before I go to bed, and after he's enjoyed a meal.  I have to get a replacement dose from the vet as it got ruined when he wouldn't eat his food.  I have two weeks to get it though.  It's good to know this is the problem and not inflammatory bowel disease.  I do plan on keeping him on this diet though as it's less waste and seems a bit healthier than all those additives in cat food.

He's most definitely gained weight.  Lifting him takes more effort and when he crawls onto my chest in the middle of the night, I have to push him off so I can breathe.  Not as feather-light as he used to be.

Zach and I have come up with a plan for gaining health and stamina.  No diets though.  But I do intend to cook healthier foods, more from scratch and more vegetarian meals.  That way we can get a better quality of meat instead of the cheap rolls of hamburger that are 30% fat.  It's going to take much more effort so I have to ration my energy accordingly.  I just hope it works.

I ordered more lymphedema supplies today.  I've been trying to consistently wear them at night at least and the compression sleeve during the day but I'm not making progress since I run out of bandages before I can wash clothes.  I did start washing them in whatever load I've got going but it's still hard to keep up.  So now I'll have another compression sleeve and two more days' worth of bandages.  I trashed one of my foam padding the other day trying to get it off.  The tape stuck to it like glue and I couldn't get it off without tearing the foam so badly it's going to be too short when I cut that part off.  But those don't need to be washed every day as they don't stretch out like the bandages do.  This stuff is so expensive though.  I did find some books in the library system on lymphedema so I've got them on order so I can try more massage and exercises to help this along.  Tom mentioned that my arm seemed even bigger.  It's not...I measure them frequently, but the fact that it seems bigger to him makes me more self-conscious.  I may have to start wearing shirts with long sleeves so no one notices.  But most sleeves are too narrow and I can't get my arm in them.  That's why I wear a lot of men's shirts.

I've been working exclusively on baby blankets lately because they are so easy and light on the arms and shoulders.  The pink and white baby boucle is going to be a log cabin blanket.  I haven't tried one in just two colors especially as pale as these colors are, but it's something different to knit.  I should get back to the curtain now that it's a bit cooler.

Tomorrow is a lot of yard work getting ready to mow on Friday.  I need to de-clutter the back yard and get more flowers planted, especially my morning glories that will be climbing up my mattress and box springs.  I know it's late in the year though.  At least they'll be ready for next year.

Time to go eat as supper is ready. And my headache is back.

TTFN

No comments: