Friday, July 22, 2011

Busy as a bee

I've been pecking away steadily on the kitchen alone today.  The pantry is done and part of the floor mopped, the stove wiped down and one of the counters cleaned.  Now I need to start on the refrigerator.  I hate to do it but I think McSnacky is cooking tonight.  I only have tonight and tomorrow to clean the house before the brother-in-law shows up and if I cook, then I have to clean up afterward.  So that's about 2 hours for cooking and cleaning I just don't have to spare.  Tomorrow I'll be on better footing, I think, with just the living room and dining room to do.  And the bathroom.  I'll stick a chicken in the crock pot for tomorrow night.


I do have the back hallway to sort out as well, but what I've done around the pantry has opened up the space so you don't have to walk sideways to get to the hallway.  Now if we could walk through the hallway without walking sideways.  Problem is that's where we keep the recyclables, hanging on hooks on the basement door.  There's just no other place for them.  And when the bags get full, walking space disappears.   Especially trying to walk through with a basket of laundry.

Then there is laundry that needs to be done.  Zach has sensory issues due to Asperger's (undiagnosed but almost certainly has it) so sleeping is hard for him as he can feel every thread in the sheets.  It's a problem with his clothing as well because the way his shirts rub on his back makes him so twitchy.  Not to mention miserable.  So I broke down and bought him some Egyptian cotton sheets that I have to wash before putting them on his bed.  They feel so much smoother.  I just hope this solves the problem of him not sleeping.  Ever since he was a newborn, he's been unable to just go to sleep like everyone else.  He can only sleep when he's thoroughly exhausted.  He managed to make it through college but most of his classes were in the evening.  Not planned that way.  Most of the classes were at night.

Well, the sheets are in the washer with a load in the dryer and I need to start on the refrigerator now.  That will take at least an hour, I"m thinking.  I'm not doing badly considering but eventually my minute energy levels will run out.  They must last until Sunday morning though.  I have no choice.

I went to sleep early but woke up when I felt something wet and cold on my leg.  Tom was playing with Professor on my bed and his glass of Kool-aid spilled on me.  Quite the wake up!  As a result I was up until 4 a.m.  Still, I managed to hit the floor running when I finally woke up at 11.  It would have been nice if I had slept through but Professor found things to bark at.  The bark sensor is still working; he's not barking incessantly, but he still tries to bark before he gives up.  That's enough to wake me up though.

I knitted a bit on the blue and white baby blanket using the Portugeuse method but I noticed that my stitches are now loose and sloopy between my knits and purls so I switched back to Continental.  It was a good experiment but not as satisfying as I had hoped.  For some people I'm sure it's the answer.  I guess Continental was the answer for me since my stitches are so nice and uniform when switching from knit to purl and cabling.  I'll just prop my left arm up under a throw pillow and I'll be fine.


I'm making good progress on Zach's sweater, too.  It's been a while since I've knit any clothing and I miss it.  I found a sweater by Vicki Howell that I might make for the fall.  I have some black Caron Simply Soft that I need to unravel and wash the kinks out of it.  In fact, I probably have more than enough and could make a beret to go with it.  But I still have many other projects to work on as well.  I'm getting terribly bored with baby blankets, especially since I don't know any parents with babies.

Well, it's getting late and I still have the refrigerator to clean and floors to mop and laundry to finish.  I might get to bed by 3 a.m. if I'm lucky.

TTFN

2 comments:

knittingdragonflies said...

Wow! go, go, go girl! I wish I could get half that amount done! Don't wear yourself out too much. And remember to stay hydrated in this heat!
Vicki

Kathy said...

Thanks, Vicki! I'm moving more slowly today but there is so much to do that I can't slow down too much. Fortunately the heavy stuff was done yesterday so no lugging things around. And I can postpone the rest of the laundry until later. Today promises to be hot and muggy but nothing like this past week has been.