Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Don't trust people who don't live here to tell you what the temperature is

The Weather Channel is a lying liar.  According to them, the temperature is 93F and the heat index is 101F.  Not true.  Both my thermometers say 96 and the heat index is much higher than 101 for sure.  I've got three window fans blowing out, all the interior fans circulating the air, including the ceiling fan and the temperature indoors is 86F.  Yesterday when the heat index was 105 it was cooler in here.  At StuffMart today my car thermometer registered 99F...all that pavement, you know.  Which is why grass and trees are so terribly important.

Plus it was already 90F at 10 a.m.

Professor doesn't want to go into Zach's room because he wants to be with me.  I'm heading in there in just a moment but I wanted to read my mail first and decided to just go ahead and blog while I'm at it.  Not that I have much to report.  Sleep was good last night thanks to a thunderstorm that brought some cooler weather.  Professor didn't sleep on the bed, though.  He camped out in the foyer on the ceramic tile.  Cooler than wood floors, apparently.

Hannibal now has his last dose of anti-worm medicine.  I'm not sure if I'm supposed to keep him on this diet but it's working and is cheaper in the long run because I'm not throwing food out so I guess we'll stick with it.  His coat is nice and sleek and he's picking up weight.  His face is fuller and he's not bony anymore, especially his spine.  And he's frisky...much to Professor's despair.  The vet thinks it was just a parasite since he's responding so well.  Glad we won't have to go back and have surgery on him.

I picked up another window fan because we still have August ahead of us and those are the days that get up in the 90s.  If July is any indication of things to come, we can look at temps in the high 90s or 100s.  Hence the extra window fans. 

Tom's brother is coming up from Kentucky to help his girlfriend move so Tom is going to help but that means I really have to clean house.  I don't want anyone to think we actually live like this.  I'm concentrating on the kitchen and bathroom because I don't have time for everything else, but next week I have to get the basement cleaned up.  I have to squeegee the floor after every rain but the damp is still setting in on everything down there and I'm sure I have a colony of mold and mildew down that that will ensure I have to take allergy meds as long as I live here.  But I can try to get rid of as much nastiness as possible.

Wonders of the Universe is coming to the Science Channel next week, I think.  I've got it on my dvr schedule.  I loved Wonders of the Solar System so this should be great.  I've been watching Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, too.  Very good shows.

Well, I'm melting and it is NOT a heat index of 100F out there.  It's much hotter today than yesterday.  My thermometers say so.

I was able to knit a while last night.  I gave up on the Portuguese knitting because it was so much slower and while I did manage to get better on my tension, it was harder to keep the yarn flowing from the skein, unlike when I knit continental.  I'll just stick with what works for me.  Since it was cooler, I managed to get a lot done, but I haven't gone near my knitting today and probably won't tonight either.  It's just going to be too hot.  And I got pizzas and tv dinners for supper tonight.  Both can be microwaved so we won't heat the house up at all.  But for now, I'm going to just grab something cold to drink and head to Zach's room.

TTFN

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That aweful heat is headed my way tomorrow and Friday. I'm like dairy, I need refrigeration. Going to the library in the a.m. to stock up on books and movies. I'm more of a hermit in the heat than the cold. Love love love Winter.

Kathy said...

Definitely! If I had a/c I wouldn't leave home at all. I used to be a winter gal but after 5 years of not being able to heat the house more than 60F I'm leaning more toward autumn. Still, if I didn't have to shovel snow, I would love to have a snowpocalypse every winter.

knittingdragonflies said...

I TOTally AGREE with this post. LOL
Vicki