Saturday, July 2, 2011

Feeling decidedly unpatriotic about the holiday

This isn't one of my favorite holidays.  For the past two days we've had neighbors shooting off firecrackers and I now have a neurotic dog who is barking hysterically every time one goes off.  I know that to some I'm just a wet blanket, but it's not fun for the pets, which makes it not fun for me.  I'm looking forward to another night of little sleep again.  I thought it was illegal to shoot them off in neighborhoods, but what do I know?  Not to mention, I'm not sure which neighbor is doing it.

Plus I'm not one to call the police for every little thing that goes on. 

There they go again.  Multiple firecrackers this time.

Last night was miserable for more reasons than the fireworks, though.  It was so hot that Professor was panting, pacing and barking insanely at the fireworks.  Poor guy just can't handle the heat so he went out to lie in the cool grass and feel the breeze but then someone would shoot off a firecracker and he would go into a rage and I wouldn't be able to shut him up.  At 3 a.m., my neighbors don't need a yapping dog.  They might have slept through the firecracker but I guarantee they didn't sleep through the aftermath.  Finally I had to just insist he stay inside.  I had the fan on him, an icepack with a towel wrapped around it in his bed and a cup of water on the end table.  It was 5 a.m. before he finally cooled off enough to sleep.

It was cooler today but when I went out to water my garden, I noticed that I had lost several more tobacco plants to the heat.  I had watered them yesterday but apparently I should have watered them again last night.  I soaked the garden good today but I noticed when I went out to get Hannibal that parts of the garden were dry again.  I'll soak it good again tomorrow, but I think transplanting so late in the season was too much for them.  The heat is just not letting them settle in their new home.  I'm going to sprinkle some more seeds out there tomorrow after I water the garden again.  And hope for the best. 

The tomatoes were wilty looking as well.

Today was pretty lazy all around.  No one got up until after 1 p.m. and we just spent the day watching tv and resting.  Tom definitely needs it with his 70+ hour weeks but the heat got to us, too and we were wilty as well.  I'm going to put the air conditioner in Zach's room tomorrow.  I had to wait until I had decided which room to put it in.  Now that I have a living room again, it makes sense to put it there, but it's for a small bedroom and the living room is open to the dining room, which is open to the bathroom and kitchen so it's pointless to waste the electricity trying to cool down that much space.  Zach's room has no air flow in it and it's small so it makes the most sense to just cool off one room that we can escape to if we need it.  He can't sleep in the summer because his room is so hot.  And if he gets a job soon he'll definitely need sleep.

I finished up the pinwheel blanket and really don't care much for it.  I put two rows of double crochet edging on it so it would lie down flat but it's really plain-looking.  I guess since it's for a boy, that's probably a good thing.  I'm working on the feather and fan baby blanket since it's lightweight but my hands keep sweating and it's hard to knit like that.  I should dig out some dishcloth patterns and my cotton to knit for a while.  I really could use some dishcloths anyway.

Well, I'm away from the fan so I'm going to shut this down and go back to the living room...maybe even make up the bed and try to relax a bit before I don't go to sleep because of all the frelling firecrackers going off right now.  This sounds like a show so it might be happening at the park, about a half-mile from here, near the marsh.  If so they should be done soon.  If not, this could go on all night.

I did watch Twilight: Eclipse last night while I was not sleeping and was surprised at how good it was.  I didn't care much for the first two movies but this one was good.  Not a huge fan of the books, but I read them to see what the fuss was all about.  They held my attention but I wouldn't call it great writing.  Plus, I have issues with the author's notion of relationships, especially young girls' relationships.

I really am going to shut it all down now as I'm sweating and getting more and more irritated by these fireworks...the last barrage which was a lot closer...like a few houses away.

TTFN

No comments: