Thursday, February 3, 2011

The truck escapes its snow prison

The truck is free!  Long live the truck!  It took another hour of both Zach and me digging (even under the truck) to get enough snow removed so we could get it out of the driveway but we did it.  Got all  our errands done and are home cozy and warm.  Well, cozy anyway.

Still bitterly cold although not as cold as it was this morning.  I heard that wind chill was -22 at around 7 a.m.  I'm sure it was much colder earlier on.  Tom always takes Professor on a run around the yard when he gets home at around 1 a.m. but with all this snow there is no yard to run around on so they make a hike to the tree closest to the road and call it a night.

Remember how I mentioned the other day we were visited by 2 Rottweilers from up the street?  Well, Professor was outside last evening and lo and behold, one of them came back.  I fully expected Professor to high tail it into the house so I opened the door and told him to come in, but this brave chihuahua/pomeranian giant got up on the steps with his back end one step higher than his front end (if you know anything about chihuahuas, you know that that makes them look like they're standing on their heads) and let that Rottweiler know whose yard this was.  He was eye level with him, which I thought was pretty darned clever of the boy. The Rottweiler, just sat down as if he was being punished and let Professor bitch him out.  The whole time I'm thinking that one bite from the Rottie and Professor would be history, but the gentle giant just took it until his owner called him home.  Then and only then did Professor march triumphantly into the house.

The mailman doesn't have a chance against Professor now.

Driving to town was dicey with the truck.  As I've said a dozen times, the truck is crap on snow and there was a lot of drifting on the highway, especially on one tight curve that I didn't see until I was on it.  Braking or turning was out so I just took my foot off the accelerator and let the truck glide into the curve.  I don't think I was breathing during that part of the journey.  And of course, the side streets in town are nothing but packed snow, narrowed by the snow banks and treacherous on an incline.  I avoided the street I normally take to the library because it's so hilly and slick.  I only had to go a few blocks out of my way fortunately. 

When I was driving into the parking lot at the library, a huge truck was coming out, swinging widely around the corner because the idiot was talking on his cell phone.  On snowy terrain.  Idiots!  Then there was the woman who drove through the stop sign as we were walking across the street.  Not talking on her cell phone.  Just not paying any attention.

But we made it home even if it got a bit white-knuckled at times.  And I'm not cooking tonight.  Beef stew in a can for Tom.  I'm having a pot pie and Zach is having some kind of Chinese meal.  Too tired to cook tonight.

I'm staying home tomorrow and hope to get some work done inside although I need to plow a trail to the bird feeder and the compost heap.  But with my knee-high boots, I can just use my brute strength rather than a shovel.

Tonight is for dvr catch up and knitting or crocheting.  I need to work on the Navajo coat.  I've been neglecting it. But I'm loving the Greek afghan, too, especially how it's turning out.  So many crafts, so little time.

Off to crawl into my jammies and curl up under the blankets.

TTFN

No comments: