Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The aftermath

Groan!  Two days of shoveling snow and we're not even close to being done yet.  Tom and Zach spent most of the afternoon yesterday shoveling only to wake up this morning to find no trace of any of their efforts.  I'm not sure how much snow we got but the wind blew so hard last night that they closed off two freeways and I've been reading on facebook about friends and friends of friends who had to get pulled out of drifts.  The wind kept waking me up rattling the window next to my bed.  I thought once or twice that the glass would break due to the intensity of the wind.

So Professor kept trying to get me to let him out in that wind but I refused until about 5 a.m. at which time I relented.  Only to face so much snow on the porch that opening the storm door was an effort.  He jumped out onto the porch and buried himself in snow up to his nose.  He decided he didn't need to go that bad and stumbled back into the house.  I took his leash off and he raced to the bed and burrowed under the covers in spite of being white from the snow.  Fortunately I was too tired to care so if the bed was a bit wet, so what.

I finally got up around 9 and bundled up so I could go out and shovel the private sidewalk and a space for him to utilize.  We've got the best neighbors who had already done the apron of the driveway, behind the car on the driveway and the public sidewalk.  I think I would have cried if we had to do that, too.  Professor was able to get out and do his business finally.

Tom still had to shovel out the car to get to work though and Zach and I have spent most of the afternoon out there trying to finish up the driveway and shovel a path to the driveway.  The snow behind the truck is about 2 feet deep but it's a wind tunnel there so most of that is probably drifted snow.  My right arm is wobbly and my back is screaming.  We still don't have the truck dug out yet but I have laundry to do and supper to cook and I'm ready to fall into bed due to lack of sleep, freezing cold and aching muscles and joints.

The snow is piled about 5 feet tall in the yard from the driveway so backing out will be difficult.  The snow banks on the street are as tall so I think it will be an easing and hoping for the best.  Fortunately we're not very well-traveled.

Nothing was open today.  Well, nothing much.  I'm guessing StuffMart was but the library and most stores weren't.  I couldn't get out anyway and the powers that be were telling everyone to stay home unless they had to get to work or for emergencies.

I think I'll just get the clothes out of the dryer, put another load in and finish up tomorrow.  And take a pain pill.  I took ibuprofen earlier and that helped but this second trip outdoors has woken up the rest of the pain centers and they won't be rocked to sleep without help.

Fish and french fries tonight because I'm too tired to be more inventive than that.

Then bedtime, Midsomer Murders because they have to go back to the library tomorrow, and lots of knitting.  Or sleeping depending on what happens when I slip under those blankets.  Next year, I hope for a snow blower because with Tom and Zach both working full time (fingers crossed) that leaves me to do the shoveling.

TTFN

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We got a snowblower this year after the craziness that was Winter last year. The Husband uses it, unless he happens to be on a business trip. I used it once and had a blast with it.

Kathy said...

Tom will tell me we need a new stove first, then a new dryer, then a new roof before we get a snow blower. He might shovel once a year and then only for the joy of it.

But he's right about the stove and the dryer. Unfortunately.

knittingdragonflies said...

Be careful! Sorry to here that you got the brunt of the storm, we were very lucky!
Take care
Vicki