Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Gone with the wind chill or how my energy walked out the door in freezing weather without a coat

Floop.  That was the sound of my energy escaping out the open door.  I'm plugging along with little sleep last night and no energy today.  Zach is going to straighten up the kitchen and cook supper tonight with me helping from the sidelines.  He's good at helping and wants to learn to cook different foods so.  Okay, it's Chicken Helper but he has to strip the meat off the bones and put half in the freezer.  I'm just not up for it today.  I tried to sleep earlier but couldn't stay asleep so I gave up and just watched tv lying down.  I saw My Life in Ruins, which I had been avoiding due to lousy reviews.  I quite liked it actually.  A bit sappy but a lot of fun for the most part.

I finished up The Lightening Thief last night.  I'm a fast reader most of the time and as this is a book for kids, it didn't take me long.  I loved it.  Much different from the movie but I'm one of those who understands that the dynamics of a book don't translate to a movie very well.  I've got the second book on hold but I've also got two books on Greek and Greek religion on hold at the library as well.  I'm going a day or two to see if another book comes in.  Zach got Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox in print form.  We had tried to listen to it but the narrator was so bad we sent it back.  But be still my heart! I found a Nathaniel Parker version of it at the library so it's on order as well.  And they have the next book, The Atlantis Paradox, with Mr. Parker as narrator, too.  I guess they learned their lessons.  I hope they did anyway.

Right now I'm reading First Man in Rome, which I have read before and loved.  This time through, however, I know more about Roman history and society and have found a couple of mistakes she's made.  Not enough to ruin the enjoyment.  In fact, it just makes me feel good that I know history better than I did last time I read it.  It's a huge book, though, so it will take me a while to get through it.  I probably won't be getting as much knitting done because I just feel like reading more.  Good thing I'm not on a timetable to get anything done.

The headlight on the car went out on the way home from work last night.  The thing about this car is you have to put it in the shop to change out the lights.  The whole front bumper has to come off and Tom doesn't have the tools to do that and besides that it's freezing out there with negative wind chills.  He's taking the truck and we just won't go anywhere at night for a while.  The property taxes on the family land up north is due and this year they decided for everyone to chip in instead of one person having to foot the bill but our portion is around $50 so the car will just have to wait.  We honestly have to own two vehicles so we've got one running all the time.  We have the worst luck with keeping them up and running.

I'm still not feeling well with the sinus infection.  I didn't take any cold meds today but I'm still taking the echinacea and golden seal.  I have a headache and my sinuses are stopped up but I want to give it a rest on the harsh chemicals for a day or so.  I really should just crawl back into bed and stay there for a day or two.  If I didn't have so much to do here, I might do that.

But I'm off to lie down for a bit while Zach straightens up the kitchen, then I'll talk him through shredding the chicken.

TTFN

No comments: