Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Puxatawney Phil took a bribe

At least I wasn't dragging today even if I didn't get much done at all.  We ended up going to town after all because of a prescription in and I just didn't want to wait until Thursday to pick it up.  We hit the library as well, but as we didn't get out until late afternoon, I won't be cooking supper tonight.  Pot pies will suffice, I think.

I got a phone call from my mother this morning telling me that my dad was in the hospital.  He had an episode with his heart that caused him to sit down very quickly in the bathroom while shaving.  They kept him in last night so she didn't know what the problem was until today.  That was the reason we got a late start.  I was waiting to hear from her.  It turned out that they cut his medicine in half and it was too low so they upped it a bit and sent him home.  So all is well for now and I was able to shovel out the trash bin and get to town.

In temps of about 3 degrees F and wind chills of about -16F.   The rat bastard ground hog is not to be trusted.

Had a problem loading up the truck though because the top was frozen shut so I had to open the back gate and I wasn't sure it was firmly shut.  I shut it a few times as hard as I could and it looked shut but when we got home it was open and there was food all over the tail gate.  Fortunately it doesn't look like we lost anything.  Which is amazing considering the long drive.

So Zach is taking the trash and recyclables out now and then it's into my jammies and into bed.  I hope to get more accomplished tomorrow but I'm not beating myself up for not getting more done today.

I'm a bit sore and achy from shoveling as the snow in front of the garage had compressed and was extra heavy. I couldn't even shovel down to the pavement because it was so packed.  Zach helped shovel but we had to get the sidewalks done first (it snowed again last night) and by the time he got to the back to help I was in the truck and warming it up.  We moved the trash bin after we got home since the only place for it is in the driveway.  We have shared access with the neighbor so Tom has room to swing out around it but I didn't trust that I would be able to do that with the truck as we slip and slide up the driveway anyway.  That's probably when the tail gate opened...when I was sliding up the hill.

I got the first of the Percy Jackson books and I really like it so far.  Zach got the last Artemis Fowl book and is nearly a third of the way through it.  We listened to the audio books while he was going to school but the last one was crap because they hired a different narrator in the U.S. and he couldn't do voices worth...well...crap.  Nathaniel Parker is a genius with voices and set the bar so high that few could compete.  But this new guy was really crap.  We listened for about 5 minutes and then quit.  It was that bad.  They won't allow Nathaniel Parker's version to be sold in the U.S. so unless we can get it from the UK we're not going to hear it.  So he's reading it and "listening" to the voices so beautifully created by Nathaniel Parker.  In his head, that is.

I also got First Man in Rome about Gaius Marius.  I've actually got the book somewhere but I don't feel like digging around upstairs right now.  It's bitterly cold up there (Tom has a space heater that he uses at night) and smells really bad of cigarette smoke.  I just don't feel like dealing with both when I can get the book from the library.

And so I am off to curl up in bed and read some more before tackling knitting and tv watching.

TTFN

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The latest Artemis Fowl (Atlantis Complex) was put out in a second version read by Nathaniel Parker- I bought it on Amazon- unless there is a more recent one that I haven't heard about?

DC

Kathy said...

I think Atlantis Complex is the latest. Time Paradox was the one that had an awful narrator but one of the libraries in our system has it with Nathaniel Parker narrating so we're on the list for it. Apparently it's more popular than the one with the terrible voice actor because there's a long list for the one with Nathaniel Parker whereas the other one is sitting on the shelf untouched.

Thanks for commenting!