Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Staying home today

I stayed home today after convincing myself I didn't need an extra ball of the cotton yarn.  I'm making do with what I've got and have managed to knit 3 dishcloths so far with another one on the needles.  I've got much more to knit before I seal up the box to send my parents but I can't wait too long or they won't get it before Christmas so I'll be knitting like crazy tonight and whatever I get done is what I'll send.

I have something in at the library so I'll get the box mailed on my way.  I also have to air up the tires and get gas in the car so it will be a day of more errands.  No stopping at the store though.

I had to go out this morning and refill the bird feeder because the greedy things are going through two full feeders every other day.  I couldn't get one of them off the hook because it was frozen shut so I ended up standing on my tip toes, holding the cover off and pouring bird food into it.  I didn't even spill any, but my fingers were numb from the cold by the time I got done.  I notice they're eating into the suet.  Good thing I got a case of it.  Early in the day I saw a male cardinal frequenting the feeders and this evening before I shut the curtains, I saw his mate out there.  I'll keep an eye on the levels so my birds don't go hungry.

I also laid out an ear of field corn for the squirrels and any other critter.  I was going to lay out some old celery but I figured it would freeze solid and therefore be no good.  I'll wait until we have a day in the high 30s and do that.

I broke down and am using the dryer because our house is just too small for the racks.  After 36 hours the clothes were still pretty wet and I had to keep moving the racks out of the way to get to the kitchen or the computer.  I wish I could just set it up in the basement but it's too smelly down there from the damp and the cat box.  I'm pretty far behind on laundry anyway so this way I can get caught up a bit.

We got some snow last night and a bit more today but not enough to cover the ground.  And it's brisk out there so the wind chill is probably in the teens.  A bit too cold for me tonight.  I'll steel myself up tomorrow to go out but I just wasn't up for it today.

I can't believe it's December already.  I'm going to change out my altar to prepare for Yule and maybe next week I'll get out the Christmas decorations.  Still...small house...no room.  Makes it difficult to decorate at all.  I think I'm going to put the table-top tree on the racks by the window this year because I have no other options.

Time to get supper started:  macaroni and cheese because I don't have anything thawed out.  I think I'll thaw out the roast for tomorrow night so I can just stick it in the crockpot.  I'll divide it up before serving so I can get a few meals out of it.  I really don't know how people can afford anything beyond hamburger these days.  A tiny roast like that cost $12.  I'll use it mostly for adding to dishes rather than the main event.

Should be a busy night tonight what with the laundry and the knitting.

TTFN

No comments: