Thursday, December 30, 2010

Just how many colds will I get this winter?

Tuesday night Zach started coming down with a scratchy throat and headache and stopped up nose.  Last night, I followed suit.  As a result I didn't get much sleep.  Nothing new...feast or famine here in the sleep department.  I had to run to the store to pick up some extra cold supplies and stopped off at the thrift store on the way home.  I scored 9 balls of lace weight yarn in green for $6.  Unfortunately it's acrylic so I don't know what I'm going to do with it.  I couldn't feel the yarn as the bag was stapled shut but it doesn't matter.  I would have bought it anyway.  I'll figure out a pattern when the time comes.

I frogged the gansey scarf because I think my needles were too small.  The scarf felt too dense.  No drape at all.  So I went up two sizes to a size 5 and it's a much nicer drape to it.  It feels softer now and yet the design is still popping.

On other needles, I finished up one fingerless mitt and will start the other one tomorrow.  I'm at the halfway point on my great-niece's scarf but I haven't done anything on the Tree of Life afghan for a few days.  I won't attempt it tonight with my head aching from sinus pressure.  I can barely concentrate on Doctor Who, which I'm watching from my dvr inventory.

As it was warmer today, the snow has been melting and leaving behind some patches of grass and some ugly, black piles of snow at the side of the road and parking lots.  But that's okay.  I don't need more snow to freshen it up.  I need just one year of light snowfall so I'm not out there shoveling snow the way we have the past few winters.  I talked to my mom today and my 77 year old mother has had to shovel the snow in their driveway this winter.  My sister and bil would do it but she gets it done before they can get over there.  They do have a business to run and can't get over there right away.  She's on the list at church for the youth to shovel their sidewalks and driveways but the kids have no transportation to get there. And they live in town. What a system.  I remember having to walk everywhere when I was a kid.  These days they don't.

My mom has been in the hospital since yesterday.  She had had a really bad intestinal flu over Christmas and all that throwing up and diarrhea messed up her coumadin numbers and she was so low they were afraid she was bleeding internally.  She's not, thankfully and will be home tomorrow.  Daddy went and got her some gator-ade on Christmas because she was so dehydrated she was nearly hallucinating so she got her electolytes back up enough but her other numbers crashed.

I simply have to get my health back.  My mother was always in such good health and on the go.  Heck, she still is.  Volunteers at the hospital and watches my great-niece.  Personally I think she deserves some time to relax but it isn't my place to interfere.  She certainly knows how to say no.  Believe me, she's said it often enough to me in the past.  :-)

I'm feeling crummy again so I'm off to bed.  I hope tonight will be an early night.  I'll tackle the kitchen tomorrow.  Or not.  It's not like there is an inspector coming over.

TTFN

No comments: