Saturday, December 4, 2010

Not dreaming of a white Christmas

I used to love snow.  Everything about it...the lovely flakes as they wafted toward earth, blanketing our view with a pristine carpet of white.  Until we got 108+ inches of snow one winter.  And we don't have a snowblower so Zach and I shoveled every inch of that snow.  I had walls of snow on both sides of the driveway and sidewalks.

So I was a bit thrilled that our November was relatively snow-less.  We got a few flurries and nothing more.  Last night we got about 3-4 inches of the darned stuff and with Zach down with the flu and Tom tired from a long week of work, I got out there and shoveled it.  I had to get it fairly early in the day so the sun could melt it on the sidewalks.  I hate to be all bah! humbug! about it all but...well, there it is.  I want at least one winter where I'm not out there shoveling snow every week. Or every other day.

My greedy birds are demolishing their supply of food every other day but I'm only going out there every third day to refill it.  They can dine elsewhere on the day I'm out of food.  Tom rarely gets to see them out there and he was amazed at the number of birds we get daily.  I'm going to have to make sure I've got a pathway to the feeders though.

I actually could have hung a load of clothes out today but I was really tired from the shoveling.  I have a load in the dryer that isn't quite dry so I might hang them out tomorrow if it's sunny.  Although the temps will be in the single digits from the windchill.  Nah!  I'll finish drying them in the dryer.  Not worth losing fingers to save a few pennies.

I'm still hurting from the fall although it's a lot better.  Now I've got the soreness from the shoveling on top of the fibromyalgia.  I've already taken some pain pills, which I normally save for bedtime.  I'm planning on taking my hot water bottle to bed with me.  It helped the pain last night while I was waiting for the pills to kick in.  The cold weather affects my fibromyalgia more than the summer temps do so I tend to take more medication during the winter than I do during the summer.

I have decided that both Professor and I need to do some walking, though, but our hill is impossible to walk during the winter because some people don't shovel their sidewalks or the ice melts and runs down the sidewalks and then freezes the next day.  Either way it's too slick to walk so I plan on taking him somewhere flat and walking there.  Just not sure where that will be yet.  There isn't anyplace here in town like that so I guess I'll go to Beaver Dam to walk around a parking lot.  Or maybe Crystal Lake Park.  It's fairly flat and has a walking path there.

I'm off to crawl into bed and knit on a scarf.  I had spun some wool a couple of years ago but haven't knit anything up with it yet.  I'm thinking of a lacy or cabled scarf.  Because I can usually only afford acrylic I can't make things that need to be blocked so I want to take this opportunity to do that now.  I also plan on getting back to spinning.  I think I'll take some of the Welsh Top I'm spinning and knit socks out of them.  It will end up a sport weight, I think.  I have a pound of it so I have lots of options.  I'm thinking that if I start spinning more I might pick up another kick spindle so I can ply even while I'm spinning singles, I can also ply so I don't have to wait.  I also would like to start dyeing some of my singles.  I don't want to dye them after I've plied because I think the colors would look better if they're not terribly uniform.  I'm going to try kool aid dyeing first.  If I like it, I'll move onto other types later.

Well, off to figure out a pattern to knit from my stitch dictionary.  Then I think I might add some more length to my afghan.  It looks a bit short on the back of the couch. 

TTFN

No comments: