Thursday, December 9, 2010

Making up for the snow we didn't get in November

It's treacherous out there.  We're under a winter storm warning, anticipating 5 inches of snow by midnight but the 2-3 inches we've already gotten is deceptively slick.  I headed to town just as it started snowing and by the time I got there, the roads were slick even though they didn't look snowed under.  I discovered how slick they were when I made my turn off the highway with a semi barreling down behind me.  I had slowed down to a crawl because I've driven in snow before and remember how slick it can get even when you can't see it on the road but I still fishtailed a bit.  And the semi didn't even slow down behind me.  Gulp!

I got my shopping done today because we plan on going to see Harry Potter tomorrow afternoon and it's a good thing I did since Saturday we might get as much as 10 inches.  I think they're being overly optimistic and we'll end up getting an inch or two but I'm always prepared.  Or at least I try to be.

Except I didn't make it to the library today because the roads were already getting bad and it's not urgent that I go there.  I have a book in but nothing is due until next week.

I'm making progress on the Gansey scarf, but I ripped it back and started over again.  I was using a size 2US needle and it made the fabric a bit dense, plus I only have 8 oz of the wool and I don't think the scarf would be very long if I kept it up the way I was knitting it.  So I cut the pattern in half and am making just one side of it.  Plus I switched to a size 3US needle and it feels much better.  Softer and more drape to it without giving up stitch definition.  Any larger and I would lose that.  Now that I've only got half the work to do, the scarf is growing faster.

I also started a pair of nordic mittens that seem to be working out okay although I may need to switch to a size 4US needle instead of a 3.  They might end up being a bit snug.  Plus I've turned the heel on my socks of many colors (okay, only 3) so I'm making progress on them, too. 

And I know I said no more yarn but I can't find the tree skirt so I bought some SuperSaver yarn to make a new one.  Plus that leaves me lots of yarn to make some ornaments and such.

I just talked to my mom and they got their package already.  Took two days to get there.  Amazing!  She hadn't seen anything in it yet but was going to look after we got off the phone.  My sister got some yarn at a yard sale so Mom is going to send it to me.  I imagine it's Red Heart yarn but since I've found a use for it, I don't mind anymore.  I'll make do with whatever comes my way.  She wants me to knit my uncle some mitts because his hands are so cold all the time and I'm going to knit my aunt (their sister) some mittens/flap because she walks outdoors nearly every day.  And she way overpaid me for the socks.

Off to fix supper.  It's a bit late but I didn't get home from shopping until late and talked to my mom for a long time on the phone so I'm behind.  Then I've got hours of knitting and crocheting.  I'll finish decorating for Christmas this weekend.

TTFN

No comments: