Monday, December 6, 2010

Countdown to winter

The poor birds had to do their fine dining elsewhere today because I couldn't get the mojo to go out in the breezy, freezy weather to refill the feeders.  I didn't even open up the curtains today because of the wind.  No sun and wind makes it illogical to open up the curtains in this house.

I've put up some curtains on the wall where the front door is to keep that serious air leak contained.  It makes a huge difference and the living room is warmer.  A bit anyway.  I got the gas and electric bill for November and it's around $80, which is fantastic, but we did have that Indian summer there where we didn't use any heat for about a week.  Still, I'll take what I can get.

I'm adding some more to the afghan because Zach says it's too short to use.  I'll use up what yarn I've got left but I'm not buying anymore for the afghan.  In fact, I'm trying to go on a yarn diet and not buy anymore until I've used up some of my stash.  I've got plenty and don't need anymore right now.  I'm also thinking of making smaller items instead of the larger sweaters and ponchos so I'm accomplishing things.  It' disheartening to keep knitting forever on all my projects.  I'll continue with the sweater but not the poncho.  In fact, I found a kimono I liked better than the poncho so I might knit that instead.  But I'll still have plenty of the blue yarn to knit up some mittens and hats and such.  I can donate them or keep them for gifts.  I wouldn't mind having a stash of finished objects so when a gift is needed, I've already got it and the pressure isn't on to crank something out quickly.

I did some tidying today but mostly have been looking through patterns that I might want to knit later.  My socks are turning out pretty good with red, black and off white striping.  I've gotten to the heel, which is the best part, so I'll probably work on that tonight if I can get enough lighting in there.  Then I'll probably start on the Rivendell hat.  I've got a modified one in wool but that makes my head itch something fierce so I'll do one in acrylic.  I've got my lumberjack hat for the really cold days but I like a hat to wear around the house when it gets a bit too cool (remember my hair is really thin ever since chemo) and any ribbed hat slides up off my head.

Then I've got some patterns for some mittens I'd like to try.  I think they're Finnish but I'm not sure.  It's a really intriguing pattern and should give me some colorwork practice.

I have errands to run tomorrow, getting my parents' package out in the mail so they'll get it before Christmas.  Zach needs some new shoes although I might try to make those cheap ones I got last me through the winter.  If I try different socks they might fit better.  If not, then I'll break down and get some new ones.  I need to swing by the library and drop off some stuff that is due on Thursday so I don't have to go out again.  This is the time of year I don't leave home as much.  I'm just so glad I'm not driving to Fond du Lac three times a week this semester.  Zach's last class is online so we're able to stay home.  And he'll be done in a couple of weeks.  Yay!

Supper is ready so I'm off to eat, clean up the kitchen, finish tidying up the living room and crawl into bed.  It's just a cozy type of day.

2 comments:

knittingdragonflies said...

Sounds like your getting quite a bit done!
Keep it up! and stay warm!
Vicki

Kathy said...

It never feels like I get anything done until I write it all down. Good thing I've got the blog to prove it to myself.

We're staying as warm as we can. I really do need to get outdoors more so I can acclimate to it better. Once I'm out I'm okay. It's the getting out that is a problem for me. I can't quite psyche myself into it. LOL