Sunday, December 12, 2010

Mother Nature didn't disappoint

According to the paper, Beaver Dam only got about 8 inches but I shoveled a foot off our sidewalks, with 3 food drifts on the driveway.  I went out first thing this morning so I could shovel the private sidewalk and some side paths in order for Professor to have an area to wee because when I let him out this morning he turned around and came back in.  The snow was taller than he was!

It took three trips out there to dig out the sidewalks and the front part of the driveway.  With a wind chill of about 2 degrees F, no way could we stay out there for long.  Fortunately, the mittens I knitted stood up well, but after an hour, our fingers were numb and it was time to come in and warm up.  The snow was really heavy, too, so my arms were shaking from not being used to that kind of physical activity.  Zach tackled the 3 foot drifts on the driveway.  And when I say drifts, I don't mean a small area...I mean the whole driveway was under 3 feet of snow.  I tried to find the truck under all the snow and get it started so it would be ready when Tom goes to work tomorrow.

Now we just have to shovel out the car, which is under even more snow, the end of the driveway being like a wind tunnel.

We lost some branches from the trees in front and the burning bush beside the house was on its side when I went outside this morning.  I tried to shake the snow off but it was stuck like glue to the branches.  I managed to shake a little bit off, but it's still mostly horizontal.

I'll refill the bird feeder tomorrow.  I just couldn't manage it today.

I'm knitting on a hat so I've got a cloche type hat that isn't wool.  Wool just makes my head itch something fierce.  I'm also making progress on the wool scarf from my handspun and some nordic mittens.  The mittens are coming along nicely.  I need to practice my colorworking skills so this is a good project for that.

Home made potato soup and hot dogs for supper tonight.  Soup is always good on a snowbound night like tonight.  We didn't even try to go anywhere today although we did see a lot of traffic on the highway behind us.  Our road was plowed sometime this morning but it's snowed since then so the road is under a couple inches of snow and a bit slick.  I could tell by the way the trucks driving by slid around.

We had company while shoveling today.  A neighbor dog, a lovely yellow lab, was out while his servant was out snowblowing so he came over to visit and play with us.  I'd never seen him before but he was friendly and playful and made shoveling pleasant for a while.  Then he bounded off home when the snow blower shut off.  A few door down the neighbors with the rottweilers were out playing with their dogs in the front yard.  Very well-behaved dogs, never left their yard but it was fun to watch them playing in the snow.  We even had some kids sledding on the road since it had enough snow on it for that.  And we're on a hill so they had fun.

This is the first snow that seemed fun.  It was great to see people enjoying it instead of just shoveling it and feeling the muscles groaning.

I need to get to the library tomorrow so Zach and I will need to get outside first thing (for us, that's about 10 a.m.) and shovel so I can find the car.  With it getting dark around 4 p.m. I like to try to get home before then but since we don't leave until Tom goes to work (the car is in front of the truck so we can't get out until he leaves) so we rarely make it home before dark.  Still, I love the early nights.

Professor is moping around with his tail down but I'm not sure why.  I know he doesn't like not being able to run around the yard and he has to crawl up a snow bank to see over the snow but I suspect he's moping because I'm online and cooking and not petting him.  He's so spoiled.

Well, off to work more on supper and then crawling into bed to watch tv and knit my fingers off.

TTFN

No comments: