Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Cleaning house little by little

Zach was out shoveling pathways in the snow today but he went solo as I had much to do indoors.  Plus I'm having a flare up of the fibromyalgia and didn't dare pick up a shovelful of snow if I wanted to sleep tonight.  Professor now has more space to wander around and Tom can get to the truck without going down the sidewalk and up the driveway.

I need to do some shopping tomorrow but as we are in frugal lockdown, only what is on the list and no more.  We're expecting snow showers but they aren't talking about accumulation so it should be safe to go out.  I just hope the warm spell we're having (it got to 14F) is enough to activate the salt on the roads so it's not so slick.  I was reading the police report for Beaver Dam and on Monday they had a lot of fender benders from people driving like it was summer.  One woman sliced off a traffic light over by StuffMart and there were three, count 'em three, police cars directing traffic.  And the policeman was waving us frantically through as if we can just hustle on all the ice.

I'm trying to get the house cleaned today and finish up the laundry in between taking it easy.  My right shoulder and both knees have arthritis, which fact they have reminded me of all day.  Ibuprofen is my friend today.   Tramadol is my bff at night.  Still, I'm making progress and will putter around until I'm worn out.  I still have dreams that I can get back to my old energy levels some day.  I'm not giving up on that dream but I'm not pushing myself beyond my limits anymore either.

I need to feed the birds again tomorrow.  I think they're out again but I'm only refilling it every third day.  I know I'm not the only person in the area who feeds the birds.

I frogged the hat I finished because it was too tight.  My head is a weird shape, apparently, because any hat that has an elastic aspect to is slides up off the top of my hat.  This is a cloche but has a large ribbed pattern to it:  13 purl, 16 knit.  It's supposed to be cabled but I got tired of it so just knitted the basic shape.  I've got one like it in wool, which blocked and fits okay except it's a bit too long and covers my eyebrows.  And itches.  I'm going to knit it using a larger needle and see if that helps.  Good thing I'm a process knitter.

I've also started Zach's second pair of mittens/flaps and am nearly done with the sock of many colors.  Then there is the nordic mitten.  I'm only knitting a few rounds daily on it because I want it to last.  I really love the colorwork.  I'm going to frog the poncho and make a blanket instead.  I've decided that I want to knit things that are interesting instead of only knitting useful objects.  I'll probably go back to knitting the Tree of Life afghan.  I also have an afghan I'm working on that is a combination of different things but for now I need to get some smaller projects done.  I've got some more mittens/flaps to knit and some fingerless mitts for my uncle and my dad.  My mother would like more socks but I'll do those next summer so they have them for the next winter.  They're okay for now; Mom is looking ahead.

I also want to crochet a ripple baby afghan in order to use up some of the baby sport yarn I've got in abundance.  I simply must avoid the yarn aisle in the future so I don't bring anymore yarn home.

Well, I need to start supper and get the living room cleaned up.  I'd like to mop the bathroom and kitchen floors tonight as well but we'll see how the energy level holds up.  Macaroni and cheese tonight because that's comfort food and cheap and easy to make.

TTFN

No comments: