Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Merry Solstice!

Missed the lunar eclipse last night because we had some snow.  Not as much as predicted.  We were supposed to get around 2-4 inches with another inch today but we got less than an inch (thank the gods) and rain instead of snow today.  Well, a bit of a rain/snow mixture.  Driving conditions were good which was a relief as I had to go back to the store today because Tom has a holiday party at work he had promised to bring some things for.  But I am really, really not going anywhere until after Christmas...for sure.

I had a book in at the library so I stopped off there and returned some I was finished with.  Even though they're not due back, when I'm done I like to take books back in case anyone else wants to read them.

I've got to start scrubbing this house down after the holidays.  I'm allergic to mold and I suspect that's what this cough that won't go away is all about.  This is the time of year we have mold build up in the basement and behind beds and such.  And the bathroom walls.  It's so hard to get rid of it in there as it starts building up as soon as I've cleaned it.  We have a fan but it doesn't seem to get rid of the excess moisture after showers.  I think we'll have to bite the bullet and get special paint this spring that is mold/mildew resistant.  Otherwise I'll be spending every week for the rest of my life scrubbing the walls and ceiling.

Apparently you can knit too much.  My wrist and thumb gave out on me last night and I had to quit knitting.  I tried knitting again this morning but kept getting pains in my hands.  I used some aspirin-type cream and that worked really well but I haven't picked up the needles again since then.  We'll see how that goes tonight.

I finished up Zach's second mittens/flaps but I'm going to take a break before I make anymore.  I found some yarn that will work well for some fingerless mitts for my dad and my uncle.  I'll start on those tomorrow maybe.  I'm going to work on the Tree of Life afghan tonight because it's bigger needles and I'm not gripping the needles as tightly as I do with smaller needles.  Crocheting isn't an option as the movement in my hand and wrist would be right where I'm having the pain.  If I have to, I'll take a rest from it all and maybe just sit and watch tv.  I'm not sure I know how to do that, but I can give it a go.

I talked to my firstborn last night and he wants to do a readalong with me while he's on break from school.  He wants to read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle together so I got the book today at the library and will read it with him.  I love his company and we like to discuss books and movies and tv shows as well as a million other philisophical things.  I miss having him around, but we have facebook and email not to mention the phone.  We're good.

Zach is sick today.  He went to bed almost as soon as we got home from the store last night and didn't get up until after 5 p.m., when I pulled in the driveway.  He's sneezing, coughing and his nose really hurts.  I got him some orange juice and cold tablets.  You know he's sick when he doesn't even want to go online to be with his friends.  I had to dig out the garbage can but he had done the bulk of the work the other day.  I just had a small patch to shovel out.  I left it in the driveway in back of the car because we don't have any space on the curb for it.  It will have to go on the driveway apron...after Tom gets the truck in the driveway.

Tom and I exchanged anniversary gifts already because he wants to make some cheesecake for his party and I know how he hates to mix by hand so I bought him a mixer.  Since he was going to be using it tonight after he gets home from work, I thought it would be best to let him have it now so he can mix the modern way.  He liked it.  I got a Harry Potter/Deathly Hallows poster for my bedroom wall.  He said he noticed I had an empty space up there.  My room really doesn't reflect a woman ten years from retirement.

No supper to cook tonight because I got Subway for Tom and Zach.  I'll just have some soup because I'm not terribly hungry (grabbed a sandwich while I was out.)  I wish shopping didn't exhaust me so much.  I really miss my old energy levels.  Hopefully they'll come back again some day.  I've had two remissions of this fibromyalgia before.  Maybe I'll get lucky and have another one.

Well, off to crawl into my jammies and watch some stuff that I dvr'd last night and today.

TTFN

No comments: