Sunday, August 29, 2010

Watching summer fade away

One of these days I'll have a post that talks about the energy I have.  Until that point, though, I think I'll just stop talking about how tired I am.  But I can claim heat fatigue today.  After those lovely days of cool, fall-like temps, this is like being plopped down in the middle of the desert.  Not terribly humid, but humid enough that my hair is wet from the sweat.

Hard to believe August is almost over.  September is one of my favorite months, not only because it's my birthday month.  But also because I love autumn. I love watching things wind down and scurrying about getting things ready for winter, when I hole up in my cave and hibernate.  Okay I don't actually hibernate but I do love cozying in.  I'm already making plans to winterize.

I frogged the blanket I was trying to design.  Not because I didn't love it, but because I had to question the wisdom of knitting another blanket.  I'm already knitting the Tree of Life afghan and I have several blankets I've knit in Harry Potter colors, not to mention throws we got from various sources.  I know we keep the house very cool in the winter but there is such a thing as overkill.

So I frogged it and am knitting a man's sweater from an old magazine because I like the shawl cardigan lines to it and men's sweaters are large enough in the arms for me.  I have one arm twice as big as the other due to lymphadema and it frustrates me to buy clothes that fit me everywhere except the sleeve.  I changed the design from a plaid to a Herringbone pattern though because I like it better.  (That Barbara Walker stitch dictionary was a good investment!)  It will wear a bit like a jacket but in our cold house (well, not cold today) it will feel good.  I will have enough yarn left over to make a hat and scarf to go with it.  At least I will look trendy as I bundle up for the winter.

I bought some yarn to make a table top out of a doily pattern but I can't find my crochet hooks.  I'm always losing them because I don't use them much.  So I put them up and then forget where I put them.  I'll tear the house apart tomorrow but it's too hot today so I'm working on the blanket and the sweater.  Neither are far enough along to cover my lap so I'm okay.  If it gets too bad, I can knit up some dishcloths.  My store-bought dishcloths are pretty ratty. 

I lost my good scissors.  Not a clue where they are and I don't want to buy a new pair.  As it is, I broke down and went to the store today, but I went ahead and bought enough that I definitely don't have to go back for a week and it wasn't outrageously expensive.  I had to take the truck because the battery thing was happening again.  So anyway, while I'm looking for my crochet hooks, I'll look for the scissors.

I managed to keep up with the kitchen today and Tom cooked supper so it's been a bit of a day off.  Of sorts.  Not that I actually get days off.  I always have some work to do.

I'm up to Return of the King commentary by the Design Team.  It's my least favorite commentary but I do glean a lot about the behind the scenes stuff.  The only reason I don't like it much is because at least three of the commentators talk so softly that even at level 34 volume I can't  understand what they're saying.  My favorite is the director/writers followed by the production team, then the cast, then the design team.  Starting tomorrow I'm getting my pencils out and getting down to it with my art.  I'm setting aside a block of time just for that.  Otherwise I'll wait until I'm done with everything and not actually get done.  Which means I keep putting it off.  I act like it's a reward for getting my work done instead of treating it like something important to me.  Same with my writing.

Well, I'm going to finish up the dishes and then to bed while watching Inspector Lewis followed by ROTK commentary.  And I hope to get tons of knitting done.

TTFN

2 comments:

Sarah Sullivan said...

Hi Kathy...found you through Debra...I am with you..so love the Fall and all it offers am a Libra. I am pulling out my knitting and quilting and loving the early cold weather here in N. Idaho!! Really chilly already. The trees are starting to turn!!
Don't ya hate it when your tools vanish? Mine have usually been snagged by a child LOL!
Have a great Monday!!
Blessings, Sarah

Kathy said...

Thanks for stopping by, Sarah. Debra is great, isn't she?

I'm a Virgo on the Libra cusp...September 22. Or so I've been told. Bilbo and Frodo's birthday.

I still haven't found the crochet hooks. I suspect they are in one of a million knitting project bags scattered all over the house. Either that or the faeries have taken them again. LOL

I am so eager for the leaves to turn and the weather to get crisp. Of course by February I'll be complaining about the cold again. But that's just the Wheel turning, don't you know.

You have a great week!