Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Getting stuff done

Last night was the first sleepless night I have had in a few weeks so it was easier to take.  I just went with the flow and didn't fret about it.  Professor wanted me to wake up at the normal time, though...7 a.m.  I let him out then went back to bed when he came back in and slept for another hour when he woke me up again wanting to go lie on the porch.  I made him come back in because I just couldn't survive on that little sleep.  Finally at 10 I got up and stayed up.  I'm not feeling too bad and have already accomplished some gardening (grapes!), checked for weeds (I'll get them later) and more tomatoes and zucchini (not yet) and re-filled the bird feeder.  Already the birds are swarming the garage room, the grapevine and the clothes line.  You'd think no one else was feeding them.

I plan to shred zucchini today and freeze it after making sure I get the moisture out of it.  I had frozen some leeks last week.  I got a bundle at the store but didn't want to use them all at once so I froze them to use later.  We're in super tightwad mode these days.  I'm also going to bake some bread today...with sesame seeds.  Zach loves them and I have some so I'll put them on top before baking.

Tom is taking some vacation days starting Thursday so he's asked me to hold of on harvesting the tobacco and plans to do it himself.  I feel bad that he's using his vacation days for this but it might do him good to work somewhere besides his job.  He's also planning on painting the fender he bought to replace the one he crunched on his truck.  I'm going to move the table out of the garage and paint it with barn paint for the garden in back of the garage and that will give him some room to paint in there.

But we are going to explore the area around us:  parks, trails and the marsh plus the fair starts this week and I would love to go see the crafts and animals.  We do plan on seeing the Mounds at a later date though.  Money is just too tight to go too far afield though.

I managed to get some reading and studying done this morning.  I'm still plodding through A Beautiful Mind but I started Confessions of  Pagan Nun, too.  It's not a big book so I'll probably finish it first.  Then I have some books that Tana sent me (I've already started on them, too...nothing like having 4 books going at once.)

I frogged the poncho because I just didn't like the way it looked.  I'm working on a blanket that will be a combination of different blankets...I hope.  I'm not going to say much about it until I've worked out the details on it.  So far it's working out all right but I'm doing the center piece and that's the easiest part.

I'm also going to pick up some crochet hooks as well and get back into that.  And hopefully find time to spin every day.  I was doing okay for a while but missed one day.  And then another day.  And then a week.  I still have a lot of roving to go before I can ply it and then dye it.  I'll probably start with Kool Aid first instead of buying some dye.  I want to see if this is something I want to do regularly and maybe get good enough to sell my stuff.  Or maybe just do it instead of buying yarn.  I'm always looking for ways to get back to basics as well.

Well, I've things to do, including bills today.  Yuck!  Those days depress me especially in light of Tom not getting his pay back for another 6 months at least.  Our contract with the cable company is up in October and while I won't go without cable again, I think we might go back to the lowest tier and Tom wants to go back to Vonage.  I don't because we had trouble with them when the computer went down.  He thinks we can use our cell phones during those times but I don't want to.  The package is about the price we're paying now so we wouldn't go up in price.  Plus Vonage took forever to start up.  I don't think $20 or less a month is worth going to an inferior system.  Plus it might cost the same amount to get the lesser tier as packages are cheaper.  But we've got to October to decide.

Off to shred zucchini and pay bills and clean the kitchen and vacuum and mop floors.

Oh, and Kermit was back on his own last night.  He didn't show up the night before but Miss Piggy and Bitty were there.

TTFN

No comments: