Saturday, August 28, 2010

Getting there...wherever there is

Miss Piggy's sleepover.  She's been there since I got up this morning, and I suspect as soon as I turned off the porch light last night.  Yes, she's squished between the house and the porch light.

The wooly worm was curled up on the porch when I let Professor out this morning but gone when I let him in.  I suspect foul play.

I've been busy today.  I didn't get the tobacco dug up but I did harvest the sunflowers a bit early.  I don't want the birds to eat them yet so I went ahead and cut the heads off.  They're in the kitchen window awaiting the morning sun so they can finish ripening.  They're the black kind, not the striped ones.

Re-using the dishwater is working out well.  I hope all this effort is reflected in the water bill next month.  I got another load of clothes washed and put both loads out on the line, avoiding the tobacco as much as I could.  The first load didn't dry in the dryer.  I know I need to de-lint the dryer but it involves tools I don't have and can't afford to buy right now so I'm using the clothesline. 

I have more tomatoes on the counter and some tiny green peppers.  I don't know why they didn't get very  big but at least they taste good.  And what is great is that I grew the tomatoes and peppers from seeds.  And the tobacco.  And the zucchini, but you could do that in your sleep.  I'm already planning next year's garden.

Other than gardening and laundry and dishes, I haven't gotten a lot done.  I did some knitting last night:  the Tree of Life afghan, the blanket thing I'm working on but am now wondering if I really need two more blankets and maybe I should save this back for a sweater.  I love the colors and would love to wear a sweater or a jacket in purple and white.  Also I started working on some jewelry out of the silk/wool yarn I had left over from a beaded scarf kit I won on someone's blog.  So far I really like it but I won't do pictures or talk about the specfics as it's a gift.

I'm also looking for some doily patterns because I've got a hankering for the color orange and I have some orange/melon colored yarn leftoever I would like to make a table topper out of.  I think I'm looking forward to autumn and that's why the craving for all things orange.  Plus I'm also hankering to crochet again.  I've got a shawl pattern I want to crochet as well.  I've got plenty of yarn for that, too.  In fact, I need to use up yarn before I buy any more.  Especially cotton yarn.  I've got enough for about 8 dishcloths so I think I might work on some of that during the coming weeks as well.  What I don't use, I can give away.  My sister is getting married in October and while I can't afford to go to the wedding or a fancy gift, I can knit her some dishcloths.  Some of the fancier patterns.

Well, time to fix supper.  Tom is working until 6 tonight and I want to have supper ready when he gets home.  We're having chili and corn on the cob.  And odd combination, as Zach says, but what I want for supper and since I'm cooking...

Then I'll do up the dishes and crawl into bed and take a pain pill.  I've been using ibuprofen today and that's kept the pain manageable but when I settle in for the night, I want a pain pill.  I don't have the distractions I do during the day.

TTFN

2 comments:

knittingdragonflies said...

Wow you have done loads of work! I'm tired just reading about it!
Vicki

Kathy said...

So am I! LOL