Monday, August 30, 2010

My puny garden is paying off...a bit

August is letting me know that it's still summer.  By noon the heat index was 88F and the back of my hair was wet and I was all for taking an afternoon siesta.  I didn't but I did sit at the table and shred zucchini and watch Howl's Moving Castle with Zach.  He loves anime, has since he was little, and since we both love movies, we like to watch what the other person likes.  It expands our horizons.

Actually, I loved it and it will go on my favorites list.  I also got 4 freezer bags of zucchini in the freezer for zucchini bread this winter.  I squeezed as much water as I could out of it, but I couldn't get it all.  I still have zucchini on the vine for eating. And of course, by shredding by hand I had to make sure I wasn't shredding my hand instead.  No red stuff in the zucchini, fortunately.

I got 6 more tomatoes off the vine today, too.  I'm going to have to do something with it besides just tomato sandwiches and sliced tomatoes to eat.  I'll end up making some spaghetti sauce as I have two small green peppers I can add to the mixture.  I canned some spaghetti sauce several years ago when our neighbor gave me a huge bag full of tomatoes and it turned out great.  I gave him a jar but never heard if he liked it or not.

I didn't get any drawing done today because it took so darned long to hand shred zucchini but I hope to get some done tomorrow.  In addition to giving the living/dining room a huge cleaning.  And some baking, I hope, if it cools off some.  Otherwise, drawing, reading and of course, knitting.

Miss Piggy the toad has been a regular visitor the past several days, but I haven't seen Kermit or Bitty in ages.  I guess they've moved on to greener pastures.  Or better porch lights.

I'm making progress on the sweater (and it's not herringbone but houndstooth) but I had to rip back because, while I thought I was carrying the colors loosely behind, it was apparently too tight.  I ended up with vertical lines.  I'm trying to find that happy medium where my stitches aren't too loose but the carry isn't too tight.  I'm not that well-practiced with fair isle knitting.  I did think about argyle instead but if I'm having trouble with houndstooth, I'm not ready for argyle yet.

I haven't worked on the Tree of Life afghan for a couple of days.  Partly because I was doing other things and partly because I fall asleep when I pick it up.  I'm trying to get back to my schedule of early to bed and early-ish to rise but so far, it's just the early-ish to rise part.  The getting to bed is happening in the wee hours.

I have many dishes to wash before bed.  Or I could hide them in the dishwasher so I can crawl into bed and watch dvds and knit.  Hmmm...I think I'll cheat tonight.  The heat really wiped me out today.

TTFN

No comments: