Thursday, August 26, 2010

The days of frugality are upon us

I didn't get a lot done today but with only about 4 hours of sleep, I'm dragging.  It was 4 hours the night before, too.  At any rate, I did get done what had to be finished liked laundry, cooking and dishes.  I'm doing dishes in the sink using the dishpans which I then pour into my bucket.  I take the bucket out and water the garden.  Same with water poured off from cooking.  I got almost the whole garden watered today and will finish up tomorrow.  Then I can water the blueberry bushes and my flowers and then back to the garden the next day.

We're also sitting in the twilight without turning on a light yet as we can see what we need to without a problem.  When I get done with the supper dishes and settle in to knit and watch tv, then I'll turn on some lights.  We used to do it this way but got complacent.  Back to the basic foundation of frugality again.

I don't think I did too much yesterday as I'm not in much pain.  Ibuprofen took care of the bulk of it and I can handle what's left.  I plan on just being persistent and chipping away at all that needs to be done.  Zach mowed part of the yard today and will finish tomorrow so I need to get out there and trim the yard, dig out the tobacco plants and dump the compost over it so I can work it into the soil.  Then next week I'll plant some lettuce and whatever else I might have time to grow before the first frost.

Another meatless meal tonight.  I made potato-leek soup with brussel sprouts and our own tomatoes.  Since Zach won't eat potatoes I fixed him some turkey bacon that needed to be used up and he had a bacon sandwish with the veg. 

I printed out a couple of patterns today.  Zach wants a hat to wear as an accessory, rather than for warmth.  I have some really nice Lion Brand cotton I got for Christmas a few years ago and it will be enough for the hat.  It's just a plain hat like Ged wore in Earthsea.  I also printed out a Celtic Knot Shawl by Doris Chan to crochet because I need to pick up my hooks again. I really get inspired by this woman because she's always working on something and does the most amazing crochet work.  I've decided I want to be as good at crocheting as I am at knitting.  And then I want to get better at knitting.

I hope to get a little bit more work done after the supper dishes, like organizing my art supplies so they are in the living room and not all over the house.  And then get down to it every day.  I've lost my confidence, though, and I can't seem to get going again so my drawing is crap now.  But if I don't at least try it will always stay crap.

Well, I want to finish up the dishes so I can get out to the garden before it gets dark.  The mosquitoes are out there waiting for me now as it is.  Then listening to commentary from Fellowship of the Ring with the creative team.  I've got Northern Exposure at the library but I'll pick that up tomorrow.

TTFN

No comments: