Friday, August 6, 2010

Waging war on mosquito bites

Not a productive day except for some laundry.  The final load of light colored clothes is in the washer but I'm not hanging them out on the line.  They'll go in the dryer because the sky is dark and I'm holding my breath that the other clothes will dry before it rains...which wasn't in the forecast.  It may not.  This may just be a tease.

Zach had a miserable night.  The benadryl didn't work for long and reapplication only made the itching worse.  He's taking antihistamines and garlic but there hasn't been enough time for it to work.  The bites on his right foot have blended together to form a huge welt about 4 inches in diameter. He had a welt on his leg about 2 inches in diameter from just one bite. The other 30 or 40 bites are still huge but not itching as bad as the above mentioned ones.  He was in tears this morning when I got up at 8 a.m.  And hadn't slept a wink because of the pain and itching.  I made a paste of baking soda and water and applied it liberally and that helped him.  I'm about ready to go buy mosquito netting for him.  Can't use citronella indoors.

I'm really tired today, too, but for me it's just the norm.  I watered the garden and found another green bean bush under the zucchini, full of beans.  I have enough for everyone for supper now.  No new zucchinis but there is one almost ready.  I try to catch them before they are baseball bat size.  I won't get the tobacco harvested because there is no room in the garage yet.  I'll try to find room this weekend but it will be hard.  Somehow this seems to be my fault that the garage hasn't been cleaned out.

Well, I'm going to go lie down for a bit and keep an eye on the sky for rain. 

TTFN

3 comments:

knittingdragonflies said...

Darn those bugs! I use viniger on the bites after I get them. It seems to take the itch out and goes away quicker.
Still waiting for fall.
Vicki

Unknown said...

I have tried more than a couple of quick-fixes and remedies to soothe mosquito bites. I even tried rubbing the pulp of banana peel onto the bite area and tried using a mosquito net at home, but these didn’t work. I still had this irritating mosquito problem at home, so I gave up the remedies and the net, and went for a permanent fix: a barrier spray. So glad I discovered this!

Maurine Roe

Maurise Gelman said...

I feel sorry for Zach. I know how frustrating mosquito bites can be, and if not remedied, they will lead to skin irritation. I suggest that you clean your house entirely to make sure those mosquitoes and other insects have no place to breed. I hope that you have found a way to keep those mosquitoes away in a safe manner.