Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday the 13th is just another day

We had some overcast skies and a nice shower today so it's cooler but still muggy.  I feel like I'm sticking to everything, especially whatever I sit on.  We went to the library today but just as I was getting out of the car, the tornado siren went off.  I walked across the parking lot but the people coming out told me they were closing because of the tornado warning...which was in the southeast corner of the county.  It's a huge county and we were in the northeast corner...not likely the storm would ever come our way, but it is a municipal facility so I'm sure they had to.  So we went shopping and then came back. 

On the way back from shopping we saw a bald eagle flying toward us.  It was magnificent.  I love living here in Wisconsin.  We also have had a frog visiting our mailbox for his nightly feast of bugs that fly around the porch light.  Initially we had a tree frog but the past two days it's been a brown/green frog.  Different shape altogether.

Finally got the yard mowed. It was so hot it took three days to do it.  It's not a huge yard but it's pretty good sized and with lots of hills on it, which are so hard to mow because they're so steep.  It's one reason why I don't mow the back hill and just call it a prairie garden. 

I frogged the Helm's Deep shawl because I just didn't like the way it was pulling in.  It really needs to be knitted out of wool or something that will block because it just kept pulling in on itself and wasn't that good looking.  I dug through some of my patterns and pulled out several I want to think about.  I'm also thinking of jewelry and accessories out of scraps of sock yarn.  I don't have enough to make anything out of and I'm not interested in making a blanket out of the bits so I'm thinking of different things I might be able to do.  I knitted an amulet bag that I can put on a suede strip and wear around my neck but it seems a bit big so I need to make the next one smaller.  I don't want to keep thumping myself in the chest when I wear it.

For now, though, I'm going to wait until evening to do any knitting because it's just too hot.  Even cotton feels hot to knit during the day.  I got some books from the library on drawing so I'm hoping to focus my afternoons on that instead and leave knitting for night time...and Midsomer Murders.  I got set 14 from the library today.  Episodes I haven't seen yet.  I've seen up until set 12 and they don't have set 13 but they do have set 15.  I'll take what I can get.  Now if they'll just get more of A Touch of Frost, I'd be ecstatic.  And maybe more eps of Blue Murder.  I think there is one more season.

Off to hop into my jammies and curl up in bed while the chicken bakes in the toaster oven. We've had vegetarian meals the past two nights and Tom has been pretty patient with me so I'm going to treat him with chicken tonight.

TTFN

1 comment:

knittingdragonflies said...

I like to have cool veggie meals in this heat also. Ugh, maybe some rain will cool us off. We have had record temps here.
Stay cool
Vicki