Monday, August 9, 2010

Thanks, whoever you are

My faith in people is restored...sort of.  We went to StuffMart today and stopped by Wendy's for a bite before heading into the store and when we came out the car wouldn't start.  Dead.  I knew what the problem was but I couldn't get to the battery to fix it.  You have to take out the air filter compartment to get to the battery.  I knew once I got that out all I had to do was clean off the terminals and the car would start but I could not get the air filter compartment off.  I worked and worked on it while all these people walked by without even asking if they could help.  I was near tears because we were over 15 miles from home, no cash so no way to take a taxi.  Even if I had the cash I couldn't afford to take one.  And it was hot and muggy.  And my hip was bothering me so walking home would have been torture.

Tom doesn't get home until about 3 a.m. these days so we couldn't wait there that long and if we left the car it would have been towed by the police because it's against the city statutes to park in parking lots overnight.

Then this guy came along and helped me get the thing off so we could get to the battery but sped out of there before I could thank him.  He had been out of work for over six months, had lost his apartment and was living with his former boss.  He's the only one who stopped to help.  I was especially impressed that the guys in the car slathered with Christian bumper stickers just glanced at us and walked past.

So we made it home and never made it to the store.  I'll tighten up the bolts on the battery tomorrow and we'll head out again to get the things I needed tonight.  I guess I didn't need them tonight after all. 

But I'm really tired and knuckle busted from all the work so I'm heading to bed already.  Zach is going to fix supper tonight and clean up.

TTFN

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank the Goddess for kind strangers. I'm glad you made it back in one piece.

Kathy said...

Absolutely! I just wish I could have given the guy something for his trouble, but he was out of there before I could turn around.

Definitely lighting a candle for him tonight.

knittingdragonflies said...

I snorted about the bumper sticker part.
Bless the man that helped you!
Vicki