Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sitting in the dark

We had a power outage tonight due to some extremely high winds that heralded in the short but severe storm we had.  The power just came on a few minutes ago so it was light, blessed light.  Candles and kerosene lamps don't shed enough light to do much.

Zach and I headed to the library to pick up a book I had there and then off to StuffMart to get a few items as well.  Since we had no power, that meant we had no way to cook so I picked up some stuff from Wendy's, too and we ate by kerosene lamp and candles.  Then we sat and stared at each other for a while and Tom went to bed.  Some vacation day for him!

We did go to a park not far from here that I discovered was a series of Indian Mounds (or Native American Mounds if you're going to be specific.) I hadn't realized that's what that park was or I would have been there sooner.  We saw two of the mounds but the menacing clouds were coming in so we went home.  We plan on going back tomorrow or Sunday...with the camera.  There is a tree there I want a picture of so I can draw it.

Kermit was back but left when the porch light didn't come on to draw his feast.  Last night all three of them were there again.  I'm sure he'll be back as we've heard them during the day and they're not far from the steps. 

Very hot and sticky today and I got nothing done again.  Aside from 2 loads of laundry.  The dryer isn't drying well so I'm going to have to pull it away from the wall and take the back duct off so I can dig the lint out of there.  I'm hoping that's the problem.  It does tend to accumulate over the years.  Then I'm going to just dry them for about 5 minutes and hang them on the line so I can get the lint off of them.  I really hate using the electricity to dry a full load of clothes.  More rain in the forecast for tomorrow but after that we'll be okay.

Then I plan on painting the old dining table with barn paint so I can put it in the garden.  That will leave Tom room to hang the tobacco, which needs to be harvested this weekend for sure.

Well, off to finish up online so I can go to bed.  No knitting tonight.  I make enough mistakes in the light.  I didn't need to really hose things up in candle-light.

TTFN

No comments: