Monday, August 23, 2010

Finding the garage floor

Tom and Zach worked hard today clearing out the garage and taking a load to the landfill, which cost nearly $50 for a Dodge Dakota 3/4 ton pickup truck bed full.  Outrageous!  I mean...what are you supposed to do with stuff that doesn't fit in the trash bin?  We don't have curbside pickup of large items in our town so we're stuck with this.  And when you can't get people from Freecycle interested in it because they want brand new stuff, you're just out of luck.

We have a lot more to get rid of yet so I'll break down what's left.  We only took what couldn't be broken down.

Tom has one more day of vacation so I'll have to wait until he goes back to work to tackle the house.  It's too small to do any cleaning while he's home.  If I want to work in the kitchen, he wants to go in there and fix himself something.  If I want to clean the living/dining room, he wants to watch tv and sit at the table. So I tend to just stay in my room and watch tv, read or knit.

So that's what I'll be doing tomorrow.  In my room reading or watching tv and knitting.  And possibly drawing.  I'm trying to do a little bit of it each day but I've lost my mojo and just don't draw very well anymore.

Tom got the tobacco harvested and it's hanging on the clothesline.  He's going to hang it in the garage tomorrow, I think.  I need the clothesline back because the dryer isn't drying well so I'm going to use it for de-linting and then hang things up.  I don't know what I'll do this winter, but I do have my racks and the hangars.  I've done it before and this winter we'll need to be more frugal than ever before since Tom's not getting his pay back and we're hopelessly behind with the economy. 

I plan on turning the garden and planting more beans and some autumn type veg along with some romaine lettuce.  And I'm going to start adding more to the garden for next year.  I think we can do twice as much next year and still have a yard.  In fact, maybe one and a half times more.  It will be back breaking work though but I don't want to get a tiller just yet.

Off to do up some dishes and then into bed for knitting and LOTR Return of the King documentaries and some knitting on the Tree of Life afghan and the crane bag.  I still need to come up with something else to knit on that I can finish in a week or two.

TTFN

No comments: