Friday, January 29, 2010

Three steps forward, two steps back

Sigh

Not much sleep last night so I slept as late as I could. Tom took Professor out this morning so I didn't have to get up early. That helped a lot. But I have no energy again today so I'm doing the bare minimum...which isn't, I guess, all that minimum after all. I have three loads of laundry to do, dishes to wash and supper to fix: pizza casserole again. Easy to fix and wonderful to eat.

I did get some knitting done on a baby hat but I fell asleep during it so when I woke up it was time to fix supper. I'll finish up the hat and then go to work on the blanket. Tonight is a tv night versus dvd night and I plan on getting a bunch of knitting done...as long as I can stay awake to do it.

I resisted temptation today. There was something I really wanted to buy, couldn't afford, but wanted it anyway. It was more than half off and the price would never be that low again, I'm sure. My finger hovered over the right click button on the mouse before I sighed and clicked the page off instead. I can get it at the library whenever it's in.

I felt better for it in the end knowing that I stuck to the principles of saving rather than spending. Anytime you say "just this once" it usually isn't. The next time there is something you want the mantra comes into your mind until eventually it's there all the time.

So even though it looks like I didn't get what I wanted, I really did. In the long run.

I'm almost done with one dog blanket. I have tons of old yarn to use to make more. That will free up some space eventually. I have some plastic cabinets I could use for gardening stuff if I can clear out the yarn from it. I'll need to move them down to the basement as soon as I clear it out...which I need to get busy with really soon. I've made very minor progress down there but if I continue at this rate I won't be done by spring...which is my goal. Because after spring planting, I tackle the garage so we can set up the wood stove in there and make room for Tom's workshop.

I swear stuff breeds in there. We clean it up and within a month it's full again.

I intend to get a lot of reading in this weekend as well. I need to study up and start taking notes from An Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery and my Tightwad Gazette books by Amy Daczyczyn (pronounced decision.) If I need any more information I can make a trip to the library.

I practically live there anyway.

TTFN

No comments: