Saturday, January 23, 2010

If it wasn't so dark and dreary I might see light at the end of the tunnel

Yesterday was much more productive than usual but not as productive as I would like to be. Still, I am keeping up with my work which is a lot more than I've been able to do in the past. So progress is being made. I just need to remind myself of that. Often.

I shifted my bed by 90 degrees to make more room in my bedroom and give me access to my piano, which I intend to start playing again. I slept wonderfully last night, which is very unusual when I've rearranged my room. It feels too much like I'm in a different place and I'm not good sleeping away from home. But it was one of the best nights I've had in ages. Except it was too short.

I had to get up early this morning to meet my partner for Altar Guild. We had a lot to do so it took about 2 hours to clean and set up. We had to put the banners up and that is always a time-consuming chore. I had an idea for a new banner that I want to sketch out and see if it is doable. I'm not much of a seamstress but I do know my way around a sewing machine so it shouldn't be impossible.

Pork shoulders were on sale for 98 cents a pound yesterday so I picked up a family package of them. We'll have them for supper tonight along with mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans. You just have to have meat and potato meals once in a while. Casseroles and one-pot dishes are good but not forever. I also bought some chicken leg quarters that were on sale. and a roasting chicken. I separated the leg quarters out and can get another 3 meals out of the package. Two meals out of the chicken and maybe three meals out of the pork if I use one of the shoulders as a condiment rather than the main event.

My grocery bill is coming down in spite of having my prescriptions added to the bill. I've overstocked on some things and will keep up with that rather than use up what I've got. I won't get caught short should something catastrophic happen to us. I may not have seen the economic downturn coming but I won't be fooled into complacency again.

I worked on my cabled sweater last night for a couple of hours and I'm finally right back where I started at the beginning of the evening. I dropped a stitch and there was no way to fix it without going back. I reminded myself through gritted teeth that I am a process knitter and it's the knitting that's fun. It became my mantra.

Tonight I will work on the cardigan though. I'm not going to break up with the cabled sweater but I think we need to see other projects for a while. I need my space.

Zach wants to learn crochet so we'll start that tonight. His first project will be a can cozy, which I think would be doable for a beginner. He's done some knitting so he's not a total beginner and I've got plenty of cotton yarn he can use.

I need to get back to my spinning, too. I look at my kick spindle every day since it's on the piano right next to my bed. I've no idea why I put it off but I'm going to start on it again tomorrow. Tonight is for the cardigan and getting ready for church.

And finishing up three loads of laundry. I've given up on using the wooden racks because the house is just too small for them. I'll make up for it during the summer. I promise to use the clothesline faithfully.

The birds were swarming the feeders this morning. Both of them were empty when I got back from church. Since I refilled it...not a bird to be seen. I suspect it's like a progressive dinner. The start at one feeder and move as a unit all over town until they get to mine. That would explain why they're not here every day.

Well, the clothes need rescued from the dryer and I need to close the curtains so I can turn some lights on. It's been dark and dreary all day...but warmer.

TTFN

No comments: