Friday, January 22, 2010

On the mend

Yesterday was a difficult day for me and Zach but hopefully today will be better. On the plus side, I'm feeling a bit better. The past three days I've had nearly non-stop heart palpitations (I have a premature beat occasionally unless caffeine or stress intervenes) which leaves me even more anxious and a bit weird-feeling. I stopped all caffeine, which I had been drinking of late, thinking the problem had gone away...NOT. Today I feel better and haven't had any palpitations at all so far.

Sleep is still an issue. But I'm trying my best to piece together a full-night's sleep even if I can't get one all in one shot. So some sleep is better than no sleep. And I managed to get in some exercise time yesterday. Not much but I'll work on it and keep increasing it until it's at a normal level. I'm so out of shape.

I scrubbed down the bathroom yesterday (which was an aerobic workout on its own) all the while kicking myself for letting things get so bad. Not health standards worthy but not as neat and tidy as I would like it. I'm going to tackle the kitchen today but that one has been kept up with fairly well, just not the floors.

I made egg noodles last night for supper. Zach loved them and since it's not such a hard thing to do, I might do them more often. Zach hates potatoes. It's more than hate...the texture bothers his OCD and he just can't eat them. He can eat french fries but they've got a different texture. So he's eaten rice mostly as he grew up but now he's tired of rice and finding something else for him has been a challenge so it's a relief to find something else he will eat.

I am still wavering about going vegetarian again. It's mostly for health reasons. I need to get my cholesterol under control (the heart palpitations have really given me the impetus to get busy on the health issue) and also because of financial considerations. Especially this summer when I get my garden going and can eat out of it.

The problem, of course, is being the only one doing it and having to cook two different meals. I've thought about just adding meat for the men but that doesn't always work out. At this stage, I'm just looking at having a few vegetarian meals a week, which is better than nothing for now.

It's time to start getting busy outdoors. I need to prune my fruit trees and see about starting another vine from my grape vine. I'm wondering if it would be worth the investment for some pruning shears. I have nothing except a saw for pruning and I'm not sure that's either as effective or time smart. It would take so much more time to cut each feeder and wayward branch with a saw than it would with some shears. I think I'll price them today while I'm out and about.

I also need to start ordering my seeds for the garden. My biggest problem is I have no place to start them indoors. If I can save up enough this year (and get the basement clean) I can set aside some space and equipment for them in the basement. This year's garden won't be spectacular, I'm sure, but it would be nice to get enough in the freezer and storage so I can save a bit of money next winter. I just need to practice those baby steps until I can actually run with it.

I woke up this morning and opened up the curtain in the kitchen so I could see how the bird feeders were doing. There was a squirrel out there trying to figure out how to get to the feed. It's impossible, actually, but she tried to get what was available on the ground until the birds ran her off. I had a huge flock of them out there for a while. Later I looked and there were two crows eating off the ground. I know I must be weird but I love crows. I'm not sure why but I think they're great creatures. Maybe a bit bossy and a bit egotistical but still lovely to watch.

As long as they aren't being mean to the smaller birds that come to visit.

Today is a day of more errands. Zach has to buy his program for his last class and I have to transfer money from savings to make the first installment on the property taxes. I had to look around for some health insurance for Zach since COBRA will be over $400 a month for him. Yikes!!! I found one for $100 a month with $1000 deductible and no dental insurance. It would be cheaper to go with a larger deductible but if push comes to shove how would we come up with the money for the deductible? And why pay for insurance when you can't actually afford to use it? I've got until next week to decide on a plan but I think I've found one that will work.

I've barely done any knitting this week. Concentration has been difficult with all that's going on but I'm hoping to get back to my cardigan and the pullover. I want to start some baby hats for the wee ones in our sister church in Haiti. And I have some yarn set aside for another baby blanket. It's just a matter of digging out a pattern in the bins under my bed. Not a huge undertaking.

Well, I need to get moving so I can get things done before we need to head out for the errands. It's still a race against the sun since the truck still isn't fixed and with only one headlight we can't drive after dark. And dark still comes early around these parts.

TTFN

No comments: