Sunday, September 2, 2007

Sunday musings

Not so much about knitting today but about the universe and everything. I wonder if the answer is still 42 (ask me if you don't understand the reference.)

Sometimes when I read other blogs where the most beautiful works of fiber art are being displayed with the most luxurious fibers, I get envious and dissatisfied with my life. I need to put that in perspective and be content with what I have and not want what I don't, or can't, have. It's not about what yarns I knit with. Or what projects I've got on the needles. It's about who I am while I'm knitting.

If I am a bitter, angry person who thinks it sucks to be me because I don't have all that I want, then I am a poor excuse for a person. It's not about being a part of the knitting "in crowd." It's about being the best person I can be.

There are many beautiful yarns out there that aren't designer yarns or the yarn of the month. And some of them are Red Heart acrylics. *gasp*

And there are many patterns out there that aren't the bandwagon pattern of the month that are challenging and beautiful to knit.

Not that it's wrong to jump on the bandwagon. I've had a blast with the Monkeys and watching everyone else knit them, too. I love knitalongs and would love to be a part of one someday. It's fun to be a part of something bigger than yourself.

But if I jump on the bandwagon just to be part of the "gang" then that's the wrong reason.

This is not about anyone else. This isn't about being a groupie (although I am a minion but I try to keep the evil side to a minimum.) This isn't about which clique to belong to. Or being a part of the in crowd. This is about me being happy with myself. And I haven't been. Because of me. No one else but me.

Not one person in my physical life or the internet has done one thing to make me feel inadequate. I've done that all by myself thankyouverymuch.

What do I really want? I want to produce beautiful pieces of knitting and crocheting. I want to learn to spin and dye my own yarn. I want to learn to design. I want to be a master of my craft. And for me it's a craft, not a hobby. (Not craft in the arts and crafts sense, but craft in the sense of craftsmanship.)

But mostly I want to be true to myself and to forge knitting or crocheting relationships based on that.

So...I am going to try much harder to be content with who I am and not try to be someone else.

I will remain...Kathy.

4 comments:

Sonya said...

Very well put Kathy. Knit to feed your soul. Knit to tell yourself that you really can do something. I was drifting in the sea of discontent for most of my life. Can't draw, sing, play an instrument or any of that kind of stuff. So, when I began to knit it felt right, like I had been looking for this all my life. I just wish someone had taught me as a child. Sorry for the long comment.

Kathy said...

Not a long comment at all and very much appreciated.

Yes! Knit to feed the soul. That's it exactly.

I can't find an email address to respond personally but I did find your blog.

Thanks for stopping by and I'll be visiting you, too.

BTW...I'm grew up in Indiana. It will probably always be "home" to me.

Karin said...

Kathy,
thanks for joining the knittalk list and posting this.
I am glad I dropped in!
I just learned how to spin, and also how to dye some yarn this year, and I wanted to encourage you to try it too.
All the best to you!

Kathy said...

I'm going to get some fleece from the Wisconsin Sheep & Wool festival that I will be able to dye. What I have right now doesn't take a dye well, but it was free.

Thanks for stopping by but I don't have you email address to respond directly.