Sunday, September 30, 2007

Ravelry

Got my invitation yesterday and have been giving it the once-over. I like it but I doubt I will have a lot of inventory on there. It occurred to me when I was setting up my profile that I don't have that many finished projects. At least not projects that I have pictures of. I just sent a baby sweater off to Haiti today that I didn't take a picture of. I didn't take pictures of the prayer shawls I've knitted. Nor all the dozens of socks.

I guess from here on I become Madame Photographer and record everything. No matter how insignificant.

Ravelry has a great community going on there. I had seen some dissatisfaction on some blogs and various boards...people feeling like there were cliques forming and they were being excluded. I think it's much harder to become part of a group in person than on the web. And so far I haven't seen a group that purposely excludes someone because they're not good enough or not popular enough.

I guess that's just the diversity of us'n knitters. We all have feelings and we all get them hurt in different ways. Or not. I think Ravelry is a pretty good place to hang out.

Edited to add: My raverly name is kawaski.

I've put some of my projects on hold because I need to get a prayer shawl out by next Sunday. A sweet, sassy lady at church broke her hip a few months ago but has been trying to live at home and it's not working out for her so she's temporarily moving to assisted living. I'd like to get her shawl out to her as soon as possible.

I'm using Homespun for the shawl. I would have preferred Light & Lofty but the color selection at StuffMart left a lot to be desired and I liked the colors of this one. It's Prairie. Just a garter stitch rectangular shawl but the colors are really nice. The yarn is okay, too.

Can't put Jesse's Flames on hold though. Zach's birthday is Oct 16th and that's not very far away. Eeeek. Half a sleeve, the neck and sewing and weaving in ends to go. Sleepless nights this week, I think, but Tom is on vacation so I can sleep late every morning.

Off to knit and watch Doctor Who.

TTFN

2 comments:

Cookie said...

A big part of that site seems to be showing off. What kind of yarn you have and how much. Finished objects and what you're planning on making. Plus the popularity game. No, I'm not a fan of the site, but I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Good luck with the shawl knitting!

Anonymous said...

To Haiti! Good for you! Have you ever read "Mountains Beyond Mountains?" Powerful book.