Monday, April 18, 2011

Survived the weekend

I took the weekend off from blogging because I was stinking tired and couldn't formulate a coherent thought.  Not that anything has changed today.

Tom and I went to his sister's surprise party and she was surprised, which was good.  A lot of people there I didn't know from her husband's side of the family.  He was married before and had grown children when he and my sister-in-law married so many of them were there with their children and grandchildren.  A few of Tom and Jan's siblings showed up so I had someone besides Tom to talk to.  I hate crowds.  I really, really hate crowds, especially when I don't know very many people, so it was very stressful for me.  I didn't eat much because to get to the food you had to brave the crowds so I just took what was on the stove and dove in for a few raw veggies.

It was fun seeing his family again.  Things have changed since I saw them last, me having the most changes.  So it was more conversational, less ridiculing and mocking and very pleasant.  I might do this again sometime even if it does take a full day to recover from it. 

Jan loved her boa and tiara and wore them the whole time, getting her picture taken in them a lot.  She squealed with delight when she opened the tiara so I felt a lot of relief.  I had been second-guessing myself, thinking that it was a dumb idea that no one would get.  But she did.

But as I said, it was stressful and I ended up sleeping nearly all day yesterday and all last night.  Which apparently was a good thing as I do feel a bit better today...aside from the minor panic attack I had when I woke up this morning and remembered that my physical is tomorrow morning.  I absolutely hate them, but wouldn't miss them for the world.

I finished up the gansey scarf and hope to get a picture of it after I've blocked it.  I have just a smidgen of wool left over so I might put fringe on the scarf.  Or not, seeing as how it's my handspun and not spun very tightly.  And speaking of spinning, I'm nearly done with my pound of Welsh top.  I had to take the singles off the spindle as it was coming up over the top when I tried to spin.  My kick spindle doesn't have a hook...it spins off the top, which I love, but it does mean that when the spindle gets full, it tends to keep sliding up and off.  So I went ahead and soaked and hung the singles to dry.  Which they should be by now.  I have the rest of my single spun in the closet on hangars awaiting dyeing.

I went upstairs looking for The Hobbit for Zach to read and found a bin that I wasn't sure what was in it.  Upon opening it I found bags of that crappy fleece I had scoured and dried, just waiting carding...by hand.  I don't know if it's worth it to me to do it.  The wool didn't feel bad when I spun the last bunch, which is probably lost by now, but it's not a good quality of wool and I really would like to spin something soft and pretty.  On the other hand...waste not, want not. 

I also found, in the bin, tons of cheap acrylic yarn that I should either donate to the thrift store, throw away or use.  Most of it is stuff that was given to me and without labels so I'm inclined to give that away.  Some I know is wool and would like to keep but there's not enough of to make anything of significance.  The rest I'll just have to sort out.

I'm down to working on just the sweater coat so I dug out a couple of patterns last night.  One is a shawl for the lace weight I got at the thrift store.  I can't find my size 6 circulars so I might have to resort to my straight needles.  I really need to get some more of the 5 & 6 circulars since I use them the most.  I'm sure both of them are with projects right now but I haven't a clue where they are.  Next time I go to Hobby Lobby or Banner Crafts I might do that.

Zach is going to the campus today to investigate the Job Center while I either read in the parking lot or trot off to the library.  I charged up both phones in case I'm not there when he's done.  He's getting really serious about finding a job.  And is absolutely terrified.  I don't blame him.

Well, off to eat breakfast before we go.  I think I'm going to pack a lunch to take with us instead of grabbing something off the dollar menu.  At the very least, we'll take our own drinks because that's what really costs the most at fast food restaurants when you're trying to eat cheap.

TTFN

No comments: