Monday, April 4, 2011

In which our heroine gets just a bit political

Although the Nature is changing into her spring wardrobe she's still wearing a coat over her dotted swiss frock.  Supposedly it will be warmer tomorrow but we've had some hellacious thunderstorms with hail and rain over the weekend.  I said Winter wasn't done with us yet.

I am putting my cotton sheets back on the bed because I'm tired of waking up sweating and needing to throw the covers off.  I'm used to 50F sleeping temps and it's as high as 55F lately so I'm going with cotton sheets.  I also need to catch up on laundry and clean house.  I desperately need to go safari hunting to kill those dust elephants again.  How they seem to gravitate toward the climate in my house!

Tomorrow is voting day for State Supreme Court Justice.  I'm sick to death of the auto calls from the Republicans telling me this is a non-partisan race and that I should vote for Prosser and his conservative values.  Non-partisan.  Right.  Not that I was going to vote that way, but waking me up three mornings running with their flat out lies (Democrats are spending huge sums of money so Kloppenburg can "steal" the election...as if) didn't warm me to their side of the aisle.  Not to mention I have had no less that 5 auto calls per day for a week.

I normally don't get political on this blog but of late I'm getting so disgusted with people and their contempt for the poor, their justification that social programs enable people to be lazy and their outright lack of empathy for people who haven't succeeded the way they have that I'm ready to explode.  I put this up on my facebook page only to have a tea party devotee respond about how proud she was for her callous attitudes toward the poor (because, see, they're only poor because they're ignorant or lazy...or both).  Makes me seethe.  It's also the quotation that was part of the reason a family member unfriended me.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are or we have to acknowledge that he commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition, and then admit that we just don't want to." Stephen Colbert
And that's all I'll say about it because if I keep going my blood pressure will rise and I'll have to delete the whole post.

At any rate, tomorrow will be a day of voting and errands.  As gas is climbing up to $4 a gallon again, trips to town will need to be cut down to weekly trips, if possible.  Probably save money if I stop going to town so often.

I only did a couple of rows on the sweater coat but as I can knit this and read at the same time, I'm going to try to read more and get more knitting done.  I'd like to have something more complicated going on.  I could go back to working on the Navajo coat.  I should go back to working on the Navajo coat.  I must go back to working on the Navajo coat.

That felt like a grammar lesson.

And speaking of lessons.  I got a Gaelic course from the library today.  I've not had a lot of luck learning a foreign language and part of me thinks I should pick a language that I can use in every day life, like maybe Spanish...I mean I have Telemundo on cable (and Pasion de Gavilanes...deep sigh...on dvd...Mario is hot!)  And I might end up in that direction if this doesn't work out.  I'd just like to learn a language of my ancestors, even if I'm never fluent in it.

Well, time to fix supper, get a load of laundry out of the dryer, start another, make my bed and then shut it down for the night.

TTFN
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've stopped putting anything political or religious on my personal facebook page. The only page I do that on is my blog one.

Avoid the bullshit and step away from the computer.

Hugs.

Kathy said...

Yeah, I don't normally do that here but I had just gotten my 5th auto call of the day. It was critical mass for me.

Normally I keep anything like that on my other blog, which I will do from now on.

I ended up shutting down and watching tv the rest of the night. I'm definitely going to have to keep off the computer more from now on.