Friday, August 17, 2007

Snark

I was in the Credit Union today waiting for dh and Zach to take care of Zach's savings account so I was standing there knitting and one of the ladies in the office told me it was just too cute what I was doing.

I've never had that reaction before.

Frogged the Invisibility Shawl. It just looked terribly using Red Heart Symphony so I printed out a poncho that requires Symphony and will knit that.

I will never buy Caron Simply Soft ever again. The yarn I frogged looks awful. It doesn't hold up at all and I don't like the sheen to it. Makes it look cheap. Rylee is only a toddler so she will love the colors and won't care about the materials. And her mom will like that it's machine washable but it's not going to be durable. Maybe others have had better luck with Caron but I can't say I like it.

I've also decided that I'm not going to feel ashamed for using Red Heart acrylics. It's served me well all these years and I do prefer it to Caron. I have lots to use up and will do so proudly. Will I run out and buy more? Probably not. But it does irk me that some make fun of people who use it.

I'm really tired after having had little sleep this week so I'm inclined to be a bit snarky today.

'Nuff said.

TTFN

4 comments:

Cookie said...

That was snarky?! o.0

I agree with you about the Simply Soft. One trip thru the washer/dryer and it's never the same again. Personally, I don't care for Red Heart, but I do think some of their colors are nice.

I think people looking down on REd Heart and it's users is right up there with the muggles nonsense. It seems to me that it's people who want to feel better about themselves by putting others down. We're all knitters. No matter what fiber we use or what kind of needles/loom. That should bring us closer together as we all have something different to offer. Sadly, some people don't seem to see it that way.

Aren't you glad I stopped by to say hi. *L*

Kathy said...

Thanks for stopping by! I don't have any way to email you. I'm still new to this blogging thing.

I'm wondering now if I should even finish the sweater if it's not going to hold up past one wash. I've got several things in my queue that might be better to work on.

Thanks for your comments and I agree with you. I'm fortunate that I have other options now but RH served me well lo these many years.

Jen said...

I agree with you. I don't use Red Heart all the time, but some of it is good for things that you want to machine wash or you want to have for a long time. Personally, I am not going to LYS and spend a bunch of money on yarn for a baby blanket that a kid is going to throw up on. :)


Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

Nan said...

A couple of years ago, a lady saw me knitting and thought it was quaint! She honestly was not insulting me, though.

As to Red Heart and other acrylics...gifts to non-knitters should be of acrylic instead of wool...that way they won't shrink it and then complain!

Also, I knitted a baby sweater out of nice wool/acrylic LYS blend for someone and the family was much more impressed with another gift knitted with acrylic from a big box store...live and learn.