Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Resolution

I woke up after a very restless night and went online to check the status of my medicine on the pharmacy website.  No joy.  At least, at that time.  I went back online later to find my prescription had been refilled but only for the next 9 months.  I was relieved but confused until I finally got a phone call from the doctor's nurse who informed me that the consensus was that I would take the meds up until April, at which time I would discontinue them as that would make it 10 years since I had been on anti-cancer drugs, including the tamoxifen.  I'm okay with that.  It gives me time to prepare myself with a health plan to get on track, lose weight and get fit.  Giving me less than a week's notice doesn't let me prepare.

Still, I'm not sure I want to drive all the way back up there annually for a 20 second breast exam.  I'll talk to my family doctor about it next physical.  More good news was that aromasin is now offered in generic form so my co-pay was $10 instead of $30.

So I was able to get out of the house and do the shopping, focusing mostly on healthful foods and limiting my sugar craving to Gobstoppers, which are like sweet/sour little candies that take a while to eat and are low calorie and low sugar.  I can't go cold turkey on the sugar.  I'm also planning on focusing on less meat and more veg/grains as that is the best breast cancer diet I've read about.  And definitely more exercise.  I just have to be nice to myself and not go for the burn until I can walk around the block without excruciating pain.

Zach has expressed a desire to lose weight, too, so we will be buddies on this and hopefully stop enabling each other.  The biggest problem will be the other person who lives here who has never had a weight problem and likes to jump in and cook decidedly unhealthy meals. 

I finished up Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix last night (while I was busy not sleeping) and am ready to watch the movie and all the docs that go with it.  I'm catching up too quickly and will have to wait several months before the second Deathly Hallows movie comes out on dvd, but I've got plenty to occupy my time until that happens.  I've got Farscape to finish up and the first season of Earth: Final Conflict in addition to several other series at the library I can borrow.  There are a couple of seasons of A Touch of Frost I haven't seen yet.  I deleted some tv series from my dvr after it occurred to me that I was dreading watching them instead of looking forward to it.  If I really get the urge, I can get them from the library.  It opened up a lot of room on my dvr.

I'm thinking of reading some more Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.  I've read a couple of books by them and liked, but not loved, them.  I might give them another go.  I picked up Small Gods (Pratchett) from the thrift store so I might read that.  Or look into Discworld books at the library.  Or I might give in to my detective story addiction and read some more Wallender books.  I quit reading one that dealt a lot with South African politics, but I like the character and the stories themselves.  I might give them another go.  Or I could re-read the Hamish Macbeth books.  I absolutely love them!

Well, it's time to fix stroganoff and then, I think, crash for the night.  I was going to attack the house but my fibromyalgia is flaring up from the stress and I'm going to have to take a pain pill earlier rather than later.

TTFN


2 comments:

Carol said...

I've been taking Arimidex (another version of Aromasin) and was so so happy when they came out with the generic!
My daughter is reading some of Terry Pratchett - my tastes go other directions.

Kathy said...

How many years have you been on it? I admitted to the pharmacist yesterday that it was my crutch and that now it was being taken away from me, I was feeling anxious about it. She completely understood but assured me that it had probably lost its efficacy anyway by this stage.

Everyone raves about Terry Pratchett, but maybe my tastes go in other directions, too. :)