Friday, August 12, 2011

Nothing like a gentle rain and a soft breeze

I slept late and did some errand-running and bill paying this afternoon but little else.  I'm cooking supper right now but as I had a late, late lunch, I'm not eating.  I need to stop just eating because it's mealtime.  It was overcast most of the day and right now a lovely rain is falling with a wondrous breeze coming in through the windows.  Because there is little wind, the awnings are keeping the rain out and the air movement in.  We've used the fans very little this week, thankfully.  In light of how much we used the air conditioner last month, it's a bonus.  Although with all the additional electricity used by the a/c we only increased the utility bill by about $30.  Not bad but if we had to use the a/c more regularly it would be way out of reach.

I'm thankful I don't have to water the garden today and that the bin is filling up with rainwater so I won't have to use anything from the tap but I have to get out there and pull weeds.  I have some in the garden taller than the tomato plants.  Which, by the way are laden with green tomatoes right now.  Won't be long before I'm making spaghetti sauce.

I worked on baby blankets last night as I was really tired and mentally wiped out from the movie and the driving.  I really do need to work steadily on them so I can finish them up.  I'm still trying to find a charity to deliver them to...possibly the food pantry but I'm going to check and see if the library does anything like that.

Tonight, however, I'm going to finish up the front of Zach's sweater...I hope.  I'm nearly to the place to divide for the v-neck.  Knitting is so much easier with 2-inch stripes to make measuring so much more visible.  I've looked over the front so far and found one fuzzy stitch where the yarn was just not as nice as the rest of it and while it's taking everything in me not to rip back and fix it, I'm leaving it in.  Nobody but me will notice it and I just want to move on so I can start more clothing projects instead of blankets.

I may go to sleep earlier tonight so I can start getting up sooner.  I feel like the day is over when I don't get up before noon and yet I do need the sleep because of all the years of 4-5 hours that I've been getting.  And I hope it's quieter tonight.  The big black dogs from up the street were in our yard last night about 2:30 a.m. and Professor went ape-shit barking and growling at them.  This is happening more and more often but my husband won't say anything to the guy about it.  sigh  And when I got home from the store today there was a huge (these are Rottweiler's after all) pile of dog shit right in front of the steps.  Between the guy who parks in front of the fire hydrant (at 3 in the morning with his noisy truck) and the dogs racing around our yard leaving deposits like that and causing our dog to get hysterical, I'm not a happy person.

Ear plugs wouldn't help. Professor's shrill yappiness would pierce right through them.  Plus I cannot sleep with ear plugs in.  I tried that when after years of sharing a bedroom with the snoring champion of the world I finally decided sleep was more important than togetherness.

Well, supper is nearly ready so I'm off to turn on the tv and gather up my knitting and get to it.  Plus I'm reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone as well.  I do wish I could read the original versions instead of the dumbed down American version.  Stupid idea to Americanize the books when the story is obviously taking place in England.  I mean...missed opportunity here for the kids to learn about the customs and vernacular of other countries.

TTFN


No comments: