Saturday, August 6, 2011

The back is back

The back pain is...well...back.  I had trouble getting to sleep last night because I couldn't find a position that didn't hurt in spite of taking all the pain meds I'm allowed.  Today I'm walking slowly and gingerly.  And not doing anything beyond a trip to the store and bringing home Subway sandwiches for the guys.  I stopped and got a cup of chili at Wendy's.

So I'm not sure I've hit bottom but I do know that with my weight being carried in the front and in my stomach, it's pulling on those back muscles and my only option to stopping this is to lose the weight.  I guess I'm going back to counting calories as that's the one method that doesn't limit me on certain types of food.  And I'm going to start with slow walking...in the house...rather than trying the hills in the neighborhood.  Well, hell, the whole county is full of hills and aside from driving to the mall to walk in the wee hours of the morning, there isn't any place flat to walk.

Maybe putting myself out here publicly will be the impetus I need to get going with this.  I'm not going to start until Monday since Tom is here and I've got tobacco to pick tomorrow.  I figure I can just sit and scoot around the garden.  I've got an old rug I can sit on.  It will kill my knees but maybe won't hurt my back so much.  Zach was mowing tonight but the neighbor is having a party in his backyard and since Zach would be mowing inches away from his party, we decided to finish up the back yard tomorrow.  Plus I have so many weeds to pull around the house.  And weedeating.

And vacuuming.  I dare not use it, light as it is, until my back is feeling better. I suspect I didn't let my back heal properly before getting back into heavy lifting and such.  I'll have to get someone to help me with the couch for a week or so.  It's hard for me to rely on someone else.

Stephen posted his final grades and gpa on his facebook page and his bio dad's wife told him that "dad and I are so proud of you."  Pissed me off.  Stephen calls him by his name, not "dad."  Seems a bit presumptuous to me, but it's their relationship.  Hard as it is for me, I have to stay out of it. 

I'm thinking of crawling into my jammies and getting Zach to help me make up my bed and just calling it a night.  I have plenty to watch on dvr and I can do some knitting if I don't try to knit on anything heavy.  Like the mitered squares.  And if I fall asleep early, I fall asleep.  At this stage I don't care when I sleep as long as I do.

Off to impose on the boy and sit in front of the fans while enjoying a night of doing nothing.

TTFN

2 comments:

Carol said...

I think asking someone who loves you to help is not an imposition. Helping someone we love makes us feel good, makes us feel needed. Perhaps you need to start putting yourself first a little more.

Kathy said...

My husband is huge on not asking for help and after 25 years of marriage, it's been embedded in my DNA, too. I know what you mean about putting myself first once in a while, but it's hard to change after doing things this way for over 58 years.

But thanks for reminding me. I will try harder. :)