Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The universe hates me

What a night!  Due to having slept for 12 hours two nights in a row, I had a bit of trouble getting to sleep last night, and when it finally happened, the universe conspired against me yet again.  Mr. Roommate next door came home about a half hour after I finally dropped off.  Instead of driving around the circular street, he goes around the island in the middle of the intersection which means he has to rev his engine to make the sharp turn and then he has to back up, go forward, and back up again to park in front of the fire hydrant.  The police never, ever patrol while he's parked there.  Ever.  Tom thinks he works for the police dept.  I mean, it's so obvious that the police avoid our street until he's gone.

So that woke me up and I tossed and turned because when I woke up, the pain woke up, too and it takes a while for the tramadol to kick in.  So...finally a couple of hours later (by this time the sun was peeking over the horizon) Hannibal knocked over the cup of water I had sitting on the end table for Professor.  Which completely bathed the comforter...and Professor.  So I had to get up and rip the comforter off quickly before it soaked through to the sheet, mattress pad and couch.  And find another cover.  And dry Professor off.

He does this on purpose to see the water spill but up until this point he had been unable to tip the cup over.  He finally figured out how to do it this morning.

I finally got back to sleep after 7 a.m. but Tom had to go into work early today so he was up puttering about in the dining room and kitchen around 9.  And by puttering I mean turning the tv on loud before turning it down again, clattering silverware and banging dishes around and slamming the upstairs door shut when he went upstairs.  He says if he tries to be quiet he makes more noise than if he just does things normally.  I'm here to tell him that's not true.

So I was up by 9:30 a.m. and I'm dragging my butt today.  I got the laundry off the line, folded it, put the whites in the dryer because no one likes cardboard underwear and socks, and have done little else.  I tried to nap but as soon as I turned the tv off and laid my head down, my eyes popped open and I couldn't sleep.  But if I try to watch tv or read, I can't keep my eyes open.

So now it's time to figure out what to cook for supper and get it done.  We have to work in the yard tomorrow so I desperately need a good night's sleep tonight.  What I really need is every night to be a good night's sleep.

Whatever knitting I do tonight will have to be straight knitting because I'm sure to fall asleep doing it.  I once fell asleep knitting on a sweater for Zach and finished the whole row while asleep.  Unfortunately I knitted part of it when I was supposed to be purling.  I have also been known to fall asleep at the computer while typing.  Just ask Zach.

I should get busy with supper instead of just thinking about it.  Probably hamburger stroganoff and broccoli.  Easy to fix and doesn't require a lot of dishes to wash.

TTFN

2 comments:

Carol said...

I have the answer! If you fall asleep watching TV or reading, then that's what you need to do. Get a really comfy recliner and a cuddly blanket (if you don't already have both), settle in for the night with TV on and book in hand. Guaranteed sleep!

Kathy said...

My house is so tiny I don't have room for a recliner, but I have wished for a long time that we had one. I prop myself up to sleep because of acid reflux so that might work as well. I normally put the tv on timer so it will go off after I've fallen asleep.

Must remember not to use straight needles so I don't impale myself on them. LOL