Tuesday, August 2, 2011

On the mend

Feeling much better today in spite of a bad night.  I couldn't find a position that didn't hurt in one form or another, maxed out the pain pills and even dipped into the "extra" pill I'm allowed occasionally.  But as the day wore on, the pain in my back lessened to the degree that it's just a tiny bit sore.  I'm able to bend down and even carry stuff now.  Which is good as I just got back from the library and store.

Zach is cooking supper tonight because I just don't feel like it and he needs the practice anyway.  He had anticipated it, fortunately and volunteered.  Just because I'm feeling less pain doesn't mean I'm ready to bounce off the walls any time soon. 

I caved in and used the air conditioner today...again.  I woke up to Tom turning off the window fan, removing it from the window and shutting the window.  It was the only one open and it was already getting muggy out there.  But I was afraid we were getting too used to it so I shut it off when he went to work and left it off until 5 p.m. when I just had to turn it back on again.  It's not very high...the temp is still about 80 in here but it's a drier heat and not so miserable.  The humidity is so high outside that the heat index is about 10 degrees above the ambient temperature.  We had some mild storms today that added to the moisture in the air.

I've been knitting mitered squares lately. I initially planned on using my scrap fingering sock yarn to make candle coasters so the wax doesn't get all over my altar cloth but I really loved how they turned out so I decided to use the squares for a blanket instead and use worsted yarn for the candle coasters.  I love them, too, but since I have tons of worsted yarn, I can spare enough for the coasters and still make something out of them...like maybe a cardigan.  I've seen patterns out there made out of mitered squares.

I also worked a lot on the sweater front.  I really do need some new needles and had planned to pick some up when we go see Harry Potter since there's a Banner Crafts in that town, but chances of us making it there before closing, after the movie, are slim to none, so I think I might just order some from Lion Brand and go ahead and get my winter sock yarn from them.  I knit myself worsted socks out of Wool Ease because they feel so darned good but most of my socks wore out last spring.  They were a few years old and I wear them all the time so it's not surprising.  A trip to Hartford would use up the gas for shipping and handling anyway and I can have more color choices this way so next month, or the end of this month, I'll send out an order.

Otherwise I'm slowing down on yarn purchases.  I do plan on getting some new fingering weight sock yarn for gifts for my family, especially my dad, but aside from that, not getting any new yarn.  But I'm not going to promise in case I have to renege. 

I'm pretty sleepy so I think I'll crawl into my pajamas, which is just a tank top and a pair of knit shorts, make up the bed and let myself sleep early if I need to.  It was daylight before I finally closed my eyes last night...or I mean, this morning.

TTFN

No comments: