Saturday, October 16, 2010

The boy is a man

My baby is 22 today.  We got him a wireless mouse for his laptop and are taking him out to dinner tomorrow night for lobster.  It was his only request.  He didn't want to go today because he wanted to just stay home but it works out better because Tom has had a day to recuperate from his extreme work schedule.

It's hard to believe Zach is 22.  Where have all the years gone?  I'm so proud of the man he's become and  hope that the future holds better for him than the present. 

We had company today.  Tom's sister came over to bring some cupcakes and to wish Zach a happy birthday.  She and Tom went to Ledge Park to party with some work friends of hers.  We were all invited but I'm not terribly sociable, especially when I'm the only one who doesn't know anyone.  I've tried it before and have found myself sitting in a corner by myself with no one to talk to so I just don't do those things anymore.

Or worse, actually.  One time I was sitting right there and people were making fun of me as if I wasn't there.

At any rate, I'm a homebody and this is where I most want to be.  I don't mind small groups of three or more but in big groups I tend to get lost.

I finished up one mitten/flap.  It looks like it will fit him nicely and it was a fun knit.  I'm trying to spin at least an hour a day so I've got a half hour to go which won't be hard, but I had to stop and fix supper.  I want to make some more God's Eyes for the house so I picked up one more color so I can have various kinds around the house.  Then I need to get back to knitting on my other projects.  I managed some on the poncho last night but wore out and went to bed without doing anything else.  I'll most likely work on the pet bed and the sweater tonight after spinning.  I'll start the second mitten tomorrow.

Some of the leaves that I raked yesterday are back over the sidewalk again.  I'll get them tomorrow.  It was pointless today with the high winds we were having.  Probably have them again tomorrow but at least I can try. 

I really need to get buy outdoors before the weather changes.  I'm not done winterizing the yard and I haven't even started winterizing the house.  There is time, of course, and I don't want to do it too soon but I also don't want to be outdoors putting plastic on the outside windows when it's freezing.  I would like to have a day when it's not windy though.  I can't say there are many days like that in the autumn though.

I managed to get a lot of the house straightened up today before Jan came over.  It amazes me how the dust elephants multiply in these parts.  But I got things swept and dusted and clutter hidden away. Clothes off the line and folded although I could wash another load tomorrow.  But I'll wait for Monday because tomorrow we're going out to dinner.

Supper is smelling good so I need to go tend it.

TTFN

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Zach! Well done on another year earned. Much love.

knittingdragonflies said...

Happy birthday to your baby! Time flys!
Take care
Enjoy your dinner!
Vicki