Monday, October 11, 2010

Best laid plans of mice...

oft go astray.  You'd have to read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to understand why I left out men from the quote.  Trust me, it's funny.

I got very little sleep last night...again...so I was late in rising and slow the rest of the day.  The street light in front of our house hasn't been lit for over two years so this week they decided to do something about it.  Unfortunately they planted it between our two front trees so the city told the power company to go trim the trees so the light will shine even more brightly into our windows at night.  So they came bright and early this morning asking Tom to move his truck so they could get theirs under the light and commenced butchering the trees.  They look pathetic now.  But at least the light will shine out over the neighborhood now.  Good thing I have room darkening, insulated curtains.

Professor has been on edge the past few nights and anything that rustles the leaves in the front of the house sends him into frenzied hysteria, which, I can assure you, wakes me up quite abruptly.  I had to peel myself off the ceiling more than once last night.

As a result I'm back to getting no sleep again.  Or rather, little sleep.  I got a few hours of uninterrupted sleep but Professor wants me up when the sun is up and won't take no for an answer.  I don't know about you but I don't sleep well with a chihuahua sitting on my chest cleaning my face until I throw back the covers and emerge from the bed.  It doesn't matter if someone else is awake.  If I'm not, he's not happy.

I love the boy like I love my own life, but I will never have another dog.  It's like having a perpetual toddler.

And so I didn't implement my new regime yet.  Since the whole day was a mess, I went ahead and did some shopping, including buying Zach's birthday present and some yarn for Tom's new gloves/mittens/whatever.  They're fingerless gloves with a mitten flap to them.  He wanted fall colors because the deer will see anything too obvious so I ended up with some brown/cream variegation so he will blend in.  He'll see them if he drops them in the snow but not if he drops them in the leaves.  I'm thinking of crocheting a chain so he can wear them around his neck and through his sleeves.  Just like a toddler.  I'm sensing a theme here.

I need to start on them since deer season isn't that far away.  Around a month, I think.

I forgot to get the yarn I needed for a special project I'm working on so I'll see if I can make do with what I've got.  I had really wanted yellow for the center of a God's Eye but maybe I can figure something else out.  I'll probably make several so it's not critical.

I'm still intending to implement my new schedule tomorrow with 2 hours set aside for art, an hour for writing (not including blogs) and an hour for other crafts.  The housework will be done in the mornings and evenings and my personal knitting will take place at night when I'm down for the night.  If I'm going to take my work seriously, I need to treat it seriously. It's not a hobby.

So, supper is almost ready and I need to get a load of clothes started to hang out on the line tomorrow morning first thing, then get the dishes in the dishwasher or wash up the pots in the sink.  Then off to bed to work on the poncho, the sweater (which is looking really good) and the shawl.  Unfortunately I'm bored with the shawl already but I'll see it through.  I plan on using it this winter.  I told Tom I wanted the yarn to knit an Aztec shawl for my Christmas present.  I'll have to order the yarn myself but I'm tired of getting whatever he can find on the shelves at Stuffmart.  He won't order anything or shop anywhere else.  Well, I take that back.  He's been known to get my gifts at Fleet Farm.  From now on I plan on getting what I want.  Everyone else does.

Here's hoping I get some sleep tonight.  I'm shutting the windows so he doesn't hear the leaves rustling and maybe digging out the bark collar.  I need sleep.

TTFN

No comments: