Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Being cranky

I am so cranky today and I don't know why.  Maybe part of it is the relentless wind.  We've been having 30 mph winds with gusts of 60 mph and today of all days Professor needs out every five minutes.  So I have to untangle his leash a billion times which means going outside in the wind that nearly knocks me off the porch.

And because the temps will be dropping this week, I needed to put the insulated curtains up in the living/dining room.  So I figured I needed to clean the room while I was at it and kept dropping things.  I went to put the brand new deflectors on the heat vents only to find the magnets broken off of 2 of them.  I'll hot glue them back on tomorrow but I made do with one new one and one from last year.  I have to deflect the heat out from under the couch because we have only one wall in the living/dining room long enough for the couch.  And that's the one with the heating vent.

So I didn't get supper started early and I'm still waiting for the chicken thighs to get done in the toaster oven.  Only they're big and I could only fit 4 in so I have to cook the rest later.  And there are potatoes to cook and a veg but the kitchen is a mess.  I should have started the dishwasher earlier but I didn't and now I have nearly two loads which means one load is stacked in the sink and counter.  No room to do a lot of cooking in my tiny kitchen.

I had labs this morning and of course after I told the dr that my fasting blood sugar has been so high lately, this morning it was nearly normal.  Just a smidge over the limit.  I broke down and had some Gobstoppers last night.  First sugar in weeks and wouldn't you know it, my numbers go way down.  I can't figure it out.  But fortunately the technician got my vein first time.  I have lousy veins post chemo so I've had many a session with the tech digging and digging with me nearly in tears trying to find a vein.  I drank water all night so I hope that was the answer.

I only got about 6 hours sleep last night because I couldn't get to sleep and had to get up for labs and was dragging all day.  I ended up taking 3 naps because I just couldn't function at all.  Short naps, but still...

I got the basement windows shut and covered but I will have to fight with Tom over keeping them shut.  Many a time I go down there in the middle of winter with the furnace running and find he's opened up the windows because it smells down there.  It's musty, but it doesn't smell.  Maybe I should nail them shut.

I have more winterizing to do tomorrow.  I need to do the windows upstairs and put plastic on the kitchen and bathroom windows. And put up the curtain shutting off the back hallway which is uninsulated.  The floor is built directly over the patio and open underneath it with just some boards propped up to keep the critters out because there is a gap where the new addition meets the old house.  I've got it covered with rugs but I found that curtaining off the whole area really helped our heating bill.  The man who owned the house before us did a lot of remodeling that was very much substandard but we haven't had the money and Tom hasn't had the time to do anything about it.

I really don't want to turn the furnace on yet so I'm hoping these measures will keep us from having to do that.  It will be in the 20s over night this week.  I need to change filters in the furnace, too.  I forgot about that.

So I haven't really gotten much knitting done because I'm cranky.  And cranky doesn't knit very well.  Maybe I'll get some done tonight after I finally fall into bed.  Which won't be as soon as I'd like for it to be.  I still have supper to fix and load the dishwasher again after Zach empties it.  Once it's done, that is.

Cranky needs a vacation, she does.

TTFN

No comments: