Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bonding with the dryer again

Today didn't happen like I wanted it to.  I slept in fits and starts and generally got only a few hours sleep.  And none of them in a row.  I finally got out of bed at 7 a.m. and started a load of clothes and cleaned up the kitchen but I've been dragging as I've gotten some things done.  I got my second wind and did another couple of loads and cleaned out the lint trap on the dryer.  Along with the exhaust hose.  I got a huge amount of lint out with the brush I bought, but when I started it up, the dryer hose (which is vented indoors with a cut off panty hose over the end) gushed like a volcano.  Three handfuls of lint popped out.  And the dryer felt hot again so I'm hoping that fixed it.  I'm going to start using it again as my clothes that have been hung out on the line are covered in lint and are very unattractive.  Sometimes I think I get obsessed over the things that save us pennies and ignore the things that save us dollars.

I got the storm window on the front door and might shut the basement windows tonight as it will be in the high 20s according to the weather report.  Little by little I'll get it all done.  I still plan on doing some step aerobics tonight before bed.  I've got to get busy with the exercise.

I ended up getting different yarn for Zach's dragon scarf because they were out of black yarn (it's near Halloween after all) so I'm doing it in blue with a white dragon.  I was still struggling with my colorwork looking even because when I twist the stitches behind, it creates a lumpy look on the front.  And the beginning of each row is too loose so I've got a gap that I have had to go back and fix a million times.  So I decided to knit it exactly as the directions indicate with a woven fair isle stitch.  Which is just locking each stitch as you knit.  Slow and a bit tedious but looks much more even in spite of the stitches leaning a bit from row to row.  Definitely a better choice though.

I really haven't done any other knitting the past few days because of lethargy and using what little energy I've got on housecleaning stuff.  I still hope I can beat this fatigue.  I haven't been the same since I had the flu last spring.

I hope to sleep tonight in spite of the nap I took.  I've got too much to do tomorrow to have another sleepless night.

Inspector Morse is on PBS tonight but I've got two things in the queue to drv so I'm going to watch it in the living room.  Finding a seat in the living room might be a problem as the couch is full of Zach's computer stuff and the dining table isn't terribly comfortable.  I'll most likely work on something I've got down to a science though instead of trying to watch and follow a graph at the same time.  Maybe the houndstooth sweater for a bit.  That way I can keep up on colorwork and still make progress on my wips.

I've done some tidying in the living room but I really need to mop the kitchen floor so as soon as supper is over, I'll pop down to the basement, grab the load of clothes in the dryer, put another load in and after I've folded and put them away, I'll take care of the kitchen floor.  Then I'll feel really good about myself and sleep like a baby.  Except babies don't necessarily sleep through the night, do they?  Zach was five before he did.

Zach's toe is looking good but it's still got some bleeding on the side under the skin where the nail and toe meet.  I'm using hydrogen peroxide and antibiotic ointment and using a tiny piece of cotton ball to hold his toe up so it will grow out from under there.  At least the infection is gone though and it's not sore anymore.  Now to keep it that way.  I told him the other day that when I was little we hardly ever went to the doctor.  My mother "doctored" us as best she could.  I fell when I was about 6 or so on a small picket fence used to border flower gardens and slashed my left knee about four inches long all the way to the bone.  She put some ugly orange salve on it and a bandage and let it heal.  Granted, I have an ugly scar on my knee (that I don't notice at all now, but in high school...) but it's just how we did things back then.

I sometimes think I would feel better if I weren't on all the medication the doctor has me on.  I'm on at least 5 medications that "may cause drowsiness" so I can't imagine why I'm so tired all the time.  My health has steadily gotten worse with each new prescription and yet I'm too much of a coward to stop taking them.  I definitely want to keep the cancer meds and the pain pills.  I know I do need them but in some ways I think they are crutches that keep me from actually trying to fix my problems.  I get complacent and let the meds take care of me instead.

And I have to make an appointment to see the doctor to get my blood pressure medicine refilled because apparently she needs the money.  Of late she's decided I need to see her much more often than I ever did before to get my prescriptions re-filled.  I should get healthy just to spite her.

It's time to eat now and then tackle my final chores of the evening.

TTFN

No comments: