Friday, November 26, 2010

The day after Thanksgiving

As it turned out, I didn't do a lot of knitting but I knocked out three Hamish Macbeth novels and started another one.  It was just a day to read.  Stephen called me and we talked for a bit, which was a treat.  It's always great to be in touch with my firstborn.  He's funny and interesting and great to be around. 

I did watch Paranormal Activity (the original one) late last night.  Ghost stories must be watched late at night and preferably with the lights off.  It was deliciously scary and well-made and I might just watch it again before the free preview of Epix is over on Sunday.  I dvr'd Iron Man and Star Trek in case I don't get around to watching them this weekend.

I'm nearly done with the mittens.  Just have the flap and thumb to go and I'm almost halfway done with the scarf so I plan on getting the package out to my parents on Monday.  I'm trying to figure out what little items to put in it as well.  I've got an extra Farmer's Almanac I can send them.  Mom gardens so she can use it.

Professor has been playing me the past few nights, wanting out three or more times a night.  He sometimes wee's but mostly he just goes out to get tangled up or to bark at a night critter.  I'm pretty sure my neighbors don't like being woke up to a shrill barking dog so I didn't let him out last night.  I'm tired of having to race outside (I stand at the door and watch him) in my nightclothes and slippers to untangle him or shush him before he brings down the wrath of the neighbors.  He apparently did okay not being allowed outside because he only used the puppy pad once.  From now on, he can just hold it because I'm not going outside in freezing weather (and darned windy weather as well) just so he can bark at the rat bastard chipmunk next door.

I also plan on ignoring his barking at me to get up and pay attention to him.  After just one night, he stopped doing more than his indoor bark and just hopped back up on the bed and snuggled under the covers.  I mean, I am the mistress here, not the servant.

I braved the crowds and went to the store late this afternoon as I had a prescription in.  It wasn't terribly crowded and the cash registers were fairly empty but the people who were there were blocking aisles by leaving their carts in the center, sometimes sideways so you couldn't get around them without moving their cart or hinting rather strongly that they should move the cart.  Not to mention the family reunions that take place in the aisles.  I got a pair of Danskin athletic shoes for $12 (although the gel insoles cost $7.50) that fit and feel pretty good.  I have no tread left on my shoes and I'm tired of slipping and falling every winter.  I got some black ones because my choices were black...and white.  The men's section had some nice colors but not the women's.  Hmph!

I need to take Zach to Shopko to get his because he has a pretty wide foot that not even wide sizes at StuffMart can handle.  Shopko has name brand athletic shoes that come in extra wide and are usually on sale.  He also has flat feet and a high instep which makes buying shoes a lengthy affair.  But his shoes are also nearly treadless as he's also had his shoes for nearly 3 years. 

I got Zach a pizza for supper tonight and myself pot pies because I ended up cooking yesterday after all.  I won't do frozen dinners again.  Not terribly satisfying or appetizing.  Next year I'll get a roast as Zach really hates turkey and neither one of us likes ham much.  I can stick it in the crock pot so there is little effort on my part.  Still, it wasn't the all day affair most people go through.  Just some hamburgers and french fries and a salad.

I have great plans on using up my stash of yarn before buying more.  I'm thinking of doing smaller projects that will get done more quickly rather than having three or four long-term projects that keep getting put aside because I get bored with them.  I'm not sure what to do with all the little things I make as I don't need 10 pairs of mittens or 20 scarves or a dozen hats.  I can always donate them to the food pantry since I'm not going to church anymore.  I do need some new socks but I don't have any Wool Ease except for some bits and bobs.  I might still use them to make some socks since they'll be under jeans anyway.  And where the heck to I go that someone will notice them?  I just hate to buy more yarn right now.

Super Saver yarn was on sale today and I saw some colors I would love to make another afghan out of but even not on sale it's not terribly expensive so it's better to wait until I have a need for the yarn...or rather a want for it...than to stock up now.  I still have so much yarn to knit up.

I'm not hungry yet so I'm going to knit on the scarf while I watch a documentary on Egyptian afterlife.  I'm beginning to recognize various archaeologists, Egyptologists, historians (British, Roman and Egyptian) so it's like a little celebrity thing going on for me.  Much like the popular actors in Britain that no one here knows much about (unless they're fans of British tv as well).  I think in two years when our contract is up with the cable company, I'll keep the dvr and the digital channels and get rid of all the movie channels since I can get most movies from the library free, of there is hulu.com as well. 

I found a major air leak around the front door but it's too cold to do anything about it besides pulling the door curtain over as far as I can but it only covers a part of the leak.  When it warms up a bit, I'll put new weather stripping on.  It's just too cold to leave the door open long enough to take the old off and put new on.  The old is on there with screws.  I've been turning the heat down to 48 at night because we're under the covers anyway and we love to sleep cool so I figured since I normally have it at 50, what is another two degrees?  And daytime temps have been around 58, which so far is comfortable.  If it's damp, I'll turn it up to 60 because the damp just creeps into your bones.

Off to get in my pajamas and curl up under a blanket and watch tv and knit with some crocheting later. 

TTFN

No comments: